Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1991 1500 that suddenly the turn signals stopped working. the emergency flashers work but neither of the turn signals work. I checked the fuses and they checked out okay, so whats next? is there a chance the turn signal relay went out, and if so, where is it located and how hard is it to access? thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

tried the W D 40 and still no turn signals. when I try the turn signals the running light will go out completely on that side till I cancel the signal then it comes back on.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

It sounds like you have a bad turn signal flasher. I believe both flashers, turn signal & emergency, are located under the trunk.

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

Exchange the turn signal relay for the hazard relay and check the turn signal operation again. If they work, then the turn signal relay is bad. Yes, they are under the trunk.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

under the trunk huh? I was afraid you'd say that,lol sounds like a joyous task. thanks for the info

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

IIRC, It's not too bad to get to. Take off the trunk lower cover (4 phillips head screws), then remove the 4 bolts on the inside base of the trunk. You can lift it up enough to get to the relays. You should be able to slide it forward a bit, just make sure to have something on the seat to keep it from sliding too far forward....

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

well, I had decided to tackle the task of removing the trunk to check the turn signal relay tomorrow, then I made a quick trip to town to pick up something and, low and behold, the turn signals were working again. the only thing I hate about that is it makes it hard to troubleshoot the problem when the problem goes away. you never know when it may happen again. apparently it wasn't the relay, but what could it have been?

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

I would check all connections and switches. The intermitting problems are hard to solve. The relay itself could still be bad and causing the intermitting problem. As you know, a failed electrically system is easier to troubleshootthan the intermitting ones. Good luck with your work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.