1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all,

I noticedrecentlywhen I started the bike and held my handat the exit end of the exhaust pipes I found the the exhaust pressure is greater ontheright side compared to theleftThe bikeseems to berunnig fine otherwise butI would expect that both sides of the exhaust would feel the same ?any ideas ?

Cheers

MW

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

sounds like you have probably got a leak in the exhaust system somewhere

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

may just want a carb sync as one side is working harder than the other

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The exhaust chamber (assumes you don't have TorqueMonster or similar tubes) tends to equalize the pressure aailable to both pipes, perhaps you've got some baffle / packing in one pipe that's working loose and restricting flow (or the opposite, have lost some of the material from the more freely flowing pipe).

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks very much for the input . I;m hoping it'sjust an exhaust issue .I'll pull the lower tupperware off and have a looksee.I guess it's on the original pipesbut I hope I can patch it up temporarily and maybe source a new new/used replacement.

Cheers

MW

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Wellgot the pipes off andlooks like I'll be needing a new set.Might go for a full replacement system as the originals aren't gonna last muchlonger, any suggestions ? Nothing loud , infact the quieter the better .

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I would think that pretty well all of the 'after market' pipes available, are louder. If you can purchase some Harley pipes that the owner has discarded in favour of louder pipes, you can adapt them to your bike at a cost a whole lot cheaper than the stock silencers, orwhat is available in the after market selection. :baffled:

Read this all the way through and it should help you, if you decide to go this route. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/263-1.html

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

If its quiet you need MW, it's a fact that the Honda mufflers are quieter than any aftermarkets. Motad are a close second. They aren't cheap (but a lot cheaper than OEM) but are well made and generally outlast most of the others that are available.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

I have motad fitted to my 1500 and I think they are quiet. definitely quieter than all the crotch rockets the other guys at work have by a mile.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks guys for the replies so far . I had thought of adapting other mufflers but I dont have access tothe kind of tools and knowledge of sheet metalwork to do the job justice.I have also looked at the Motad system andthere are big differences in the price of itdepending on where you look. One other possibilty is a company called Souhan inTrim Co. Meath ( fairly close to me ) they claim to make any exhaust for any car,truck or bike in their own shop from stainless steelbut for a much better price .I figure they're worth a look anyway so I intend to spin out theresoon and see if they can price me up a full replacement system .I'll let you know how I get on .Thanks again for the input.

MW

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I put a pair of MAC mufflers from Dennis Kirk- $275 on my 1500 and they are about as quiet as the stock ones were, put the passenger says they are louder to her- I think cuz the Mufflers extend beyond the side bags and more sound is heard by the passenger cuz the bags don't cover the sound.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

If you have an exhaust made you will probably have to get different jets for the carbs. It can be a lot of hassle going that route, I've done it in the past and it is a pain.

You could try Wingstuff http://tiny.cc/a8ncs here is a set of GL1500 TorqMaster Daytona Power Mufflers if you get the replaceable baffles for them it will be pretty quiet. They are $340 that's less than 240 euro plus shipping and your carburation stays the same.
Colm

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Had loud aftermarket pipes on mine when I bought it. Bought a set of OEM's from a Winger on another forum and sold the aftermarkets for the same peice I paid for the OEM's plus shipping on both sets so it was a total wash. Loud Wings sound silly.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

HiFritz_The_Cat , Totally agree with you ,when it comes to Wings ( and women ha ha )the quieter the better

And Wingle , I hadn't considered the rejetting issue so thanks for the heads up. I likeyour suggestion though so it maybe the way to go

MW

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi eric i take it you have not got the job done yet i found horse power in longwood to be the cheapest i just priced a set of motard stainless mufflers with him for someone else 389euro with clamps and gaskets included i looked at getting them from motard in the uk but with shipping ect they were 180euro dearer

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

Nice one agnogel .I'm always forgetting about horsepower and they're only a short spin out .I am probably going to waituntil the funds look a bit better but I wont beinstalling anythinguntil the new year asI doubt I will get out much over the winter months.Cheers for the reminder .

MW

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

I see stock mufflers on Ebay all the time. Check it out as of last week I looked at some for about $75 each.
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi eric i take it you have not got the job done yet i found horse power in longwood to be the cheapest i just priced a set of motard stainless mufflers with him for someone else 389euro with clamps and gaskets included i looked at getting them from motard in the uk but with shipping ect they were 180euro dearer
Is that for the complete exhaust system or just for a pair of silencers/mufflers? This year I was quoted US$899.95 + post from Chicago for a complete Motad S/S exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

Pretty sure thats just the mufflers ,clamps and gaskets as the full system runs to around 600 euro. I could live with justthe mufflers as the collector box looks in good shape

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Last year and part of this year were good times to buy as the Canadian and US dollars were close to par. They are the times for getting the best deals.

I have noticed that Wing parts are a lot more expensive in Europe in comparison to the US. In many cases twice the price. Years ago I remember that Honda had a warehouse dedicated to storing motorcycle parts in the Nederlands, does this still exist I wonder?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.