Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was removing the police flashers and a badly wired neon system from my wing and I came across this. I have no clue what this is. it screws into a plastic box, this part acts as the lid and its surrounded by what looks like canned "expansion" foam. Three wires on the back of it and that one white wire you see.
Any one have any idea what I have come across here?

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Most likely for the lights and would be a wig-wag or modulator. Not likely for the strobes (if true) as they have many joules and have large capacitors in their power supplies.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Security system? yes but the key fob needs a battery so i don't know if it works. I haven't gotten that far in my cleaning up of the wiring yet. Good news is I have all my tail lights and side lights working correctly. my soldering iron has been working overtime. I had to fix the wiring on every light but the center rear.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
Not a power supply. No Bridge rectifier there, no voltage regulator. I do see a single pole mechanical relay, a resistor/capacitor network and a trim potentiometer. I'd guess it's a simple on/off flasher built using discrete components rather than integrated circuits.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, flasher. Does a GL1500 front directionals alternate flashing on the same side (the direction and the lower running light)? Mine do and this unit might be why.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The strobe units were older Radio shack modules and have extra lights installed in all the fixtures they wanted to strobe. I was gonna leave the rears in and wire them to the brake circuits but the original installer did a lousy job with the wiring and there was too much corrosion so it all came out.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Radio Shlock wire no thank you.

When I used to work on boats we used Ancor wire and terminals. Very good stuff and will last with no corrosion, terminals come with heat shrink installed. Crimp and heat. From primary to battery cables and lugs.

http://www.defender.com/ancor-electrical-products.jsp

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Looks almost exactly like the flasher unit I removed from my bike yesterday. Mine was hooked to the brake lights.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up making it live then turning everything on to find out what it was hooked to. Head light flasher. Now that's gone too.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
Yah know the guy who put that on the bike thought it was a good idea at the time. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.