Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a long shot but if there's anyone available to give me a hand with removing and installing the carb for a 98SE, please let me know. I've removed everything except for the carb. I need it removed so that I can replace the lower left hose under the black mat. I'm in Irvine, CA 949-231-8638. Of course I will pay a fair price for your time. Thank you very much.

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

You need to put your location in your profile so we will know where you are, I had to read your post twice to finally see it. There may be a member in your area willing to help.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome td_privatepilot
Are you having a problem getting the carbs off?

Here is a write up on the removal
http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/carb1.htm

I have not done the 1500 as yet, just the 1100 carbs.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

FYI,

I'm working with TD via phone.

Alex

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good stuff Alex

·
Administrator
26,536 Posts
imported post

ALEX BERECZKY wrote:
FYI,

I'm working with TD via phone.

Alex
Any questions what a great group this is? :claps:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Be sure and let us know if you have any questions and how you make out on it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Definitely. I have the bike opened up for two days now. I'll follow someone here on this group and be real patience with this. If I can get it going by the new year, I'll be happy.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

How long have you owned the bike?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Just about a month now. I've been riding it with the rough idle. Basically, idle won't stay put. It would jump between 1000-1500 on the rpm. I thought I have some down time from work, I can tinker with it.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Did you spray carb cleaner in there to know there is a leak?
Do you have a replacement line?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I did sprayed some starting fluid to the suspected leak hose and the rpm went up. I'm not sure if the hose will need to be ordered from Honda. Alex suggested just get some at the local autoparts.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If its the one w/90deg bend you might have to be creative or order one.
Great place to order from online is http://www.hdlparts.com/
Click on order OEM Honda parts on left side.
pick year, click on area where the part is from list, sometimes you have to look for the part as Honda has always hid them in funky places on the parts fiches, been that way since before I was a parts manager in the mid 70s.
They give a discounted price from list, local stealers usually charge over list. At least get the price and part number off the site before you go to the local stealer and sometimes they will match the prices. You'll know where they stand at least.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

Another option, and the one that I took, was to go to the auto parts store and got a plastic vacuum elbow. No special order needed and I think the harder plastic may last longer than the preformed vacuum tubing.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

SJY207 wrote:
Another option, and the one that I took, was to go to the auto parts store and got a plastic vacuum elbow. No special order needed and I think the harder plastic may last longer than the preformed vacuum tubing.
I like that option. Seems it would be less likely to spring a leak than the preformed rubber hose.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

I've had VERY good luck using silicone-based tubing from the local hardware store (sold as fuel line for lawn equipment) and fitting a spring over the exterior for tight radius areas, and to hold the tube tight to a nipple (acting as a retention clamp, and also a strain insulator)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you need loooooong needle nose pliers and loooooong hose pliers ...harbor freight set.....or forget it...also loooong phillips and flat...for the coolant pipes and other stuff....and changing what??....the coolant pipe o-rings??

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

This is a post that I've been anxiously wanting to post. After almost a week of having everything stripped, I was able to get to the leaked hose that's located underneath the carb on the left side. I replaced it with a fuel hose from the local autoparts store as they didn't have the plastic elbow vacuum hose. I'm hoping that it's fixed. So far so good. Idle still move but just a tad, no more than 100 compared to 500 or more before. Thanks to Alex for all your guidance and thank you to everyone else for all your invaluable tips. I also added the superbrace and it handles much better than before. Happy New Year everyone and thanks again. TD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:claps::claps:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.