Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

this forum rocks. I could not find the vacuum leak, and yet everything pointed to the #1 hose at the back of the manifold. Had the carbs off several times (actually 4 times) checked everything, found nothing, spent money replacing parts, and finally pulled the hose and ordered a new one today, just because I was at wits end. After my wife asked me why I finally ordered new hoses when I "knew" it was a vacuum leak in one of those particular hoses, I got curious and looked at the hose. At the end which attaches to the fitting on the left manifold, there is a small hole in the sidewall of the hose, like one of the support threads has deteriorated. Just above the point where the fitting ends there is a very slight bulge. I put the mityvac on it and sure enough, it wont hold a vacuum with your finger over the end of the hose. I will know for sure when the new hoses come and I put it back together, but I am 100% sure this will cure my problems. Will try to attach a couple of pics of the hose.

Thanks

Mike Mullins (mikeyrx)

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

It is a lot of the time the little things that will cause you grief. :claps:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Guess I had too much to send both pics. Here's (hoping) the other pic.Note the dark spot at the top on the edge of the tubing. This is the channel where the vacuum leak runs along the tubing wall. First pic doesnt show the small bulge very well.

Mikeyrx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

mikeyrx wrote:
this forum rocks. I could not find the vacuum leak, and yet everything pointed to the #1 hose .....
just curious, what was your symptom(s)?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

If you suspect a vacuum leak just take a can of WD40 and start spraying around the hoses with the bike running. When the idle jumps up you've found the offending hose. Should have heard my Valk when I first got it home from Missouri. Wasn't running quite like I would have expected. WD showed just about every one of the 'smog' lines was leaking. De-smogged and its purred like a kitten ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.