Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i am putting my 88 1500 se back together - i have a vacuum line with 16 on the hose - it has a small t in the middle - looks like it wants to connect to the front of the carb - but i can find no place to put it.... one end goes to the top of the left carb - other end goes into the right side bodywork.
anyone have any idea where it should land?
thanks

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the barn, I'm not sure about your '88 but I have a vacuum gauge installed on my '96 SE, (only one I know of) but I used a "T" for a connection like you are describing :?. Hang in there & the help will arrive shortly. :action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

hugahan wrote:
i am putting my 88 1500 se back together - i have a vacuum line with 16 on the hose - it has a small t in the middle - looks like it wants to connect to the front of the carb - but i can find no place to put it.... one end goes to the top of the left carb - other end goes into the right side bodywork.
anyone have any idea where it should land?
thanks
> There are Two #16 vacuum lines that sit Beneath the carb (see image center/right)

> There is also a #16 hose (see image below, upper left) headed to the Left side of the bike

If that's not it, the perhaps you could post a Picture of the hose and location?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The 16 hose starts at the rear upper of the left carb continues to the T at the top front of the right carb and ends at the brown solenoid below and in front of right fairing pocket.

JD

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks - you have found it - the connection to the carb is the bit i can't find.... i have just been feeling around - i will get a mirror and a light now that i know it is really where it appears to be....(small hose 25)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The #16 from the Air Jet controller solenoid is shown in the bottom photo that ALEX posted above...

Using the parts manual page pic above (ALEX's bottom pic) and referencing the #16 (white labeled) hose on your '88 we can talk about the hose conenctions using the illustrations Part# value, which in no way correlates to the bike's labeles tubing numbers...

Following tubing back to the carbs from the Air Jet:
* Part#27 comes to the "T" (Part#19) which connects that vent signal to both carbs:
* Nipple on the front of the Left carb as Part#13
* Nipple on the rear of the Right carb as Part#14

The nipples are small (to match the tubing) and are fairly close to the "top" plate of the carbs

You connection to the Front Left carb (as described in your initial post) should look something akin to the top-hose in the linked photo below (photo is from a '96, but the vent location for the Air Jet controller should be in the same spot on your '88)

http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/images4/syncscrew.jpg Photo stolen from a nice page (http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

it's the carb end of part 15 in the lower tight pic - i got in there today with a mirror and flashlight - could not find a nipple for it...

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

You possibly have a set of late model carbs on your 88. There are differences in the vacuum port locations between Satans picture and my own of the 88 year.

Satans

Mine

JD

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

the carb photo I posted is a 96 and shows the position for the Air Jet hose connection (the '88 doesn't have the angled nipple, but the port's in the exact same location)...

I may be seeing things, but the Air Jet connection on your '88 carb's photo appears to have a length of unconencted hose on it... (any possiblility that that short length of hose is on the wrong niplpe??)

Now, the other hose from the Air Jet comes to about that same area but into a F-shaped 3-way connector (should be the #17 hose that your fingernail points at). The white tubing label #16 hits only a 2-way tee (front of the right, rear of the left, AirJet), and connects to the other port (immediately adhjacent to where the "F" from #17 connects).

This doesn't seem to be what you're asking about though... the inset photo Part#15 hose is on the rear of the carbs ... I'll need to wander outside to have a look at my ride to see if I can find that or get a good photo of the vacuum hose routing sticker to look at. Lemme try to see if I can find that booger on mine.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

OK. I have found my cheat sheet. 19 and 17 hose are teed together to top front of left carb. 18 hose just below it. As written before, 16 goes to top rear of left carb to tee at front of right carb, then continues on to top of air jet? valve, part that is in front and below of right fairing pocket. Top rear port of right carb has a 3 way tee fitting and has hoses 17 and 19. Bottom hose is 18 which goes to a tee with 18 from the front and on to bottom of right AJC valve (green) under and behind of right fairing pocket. 19 hose tees with the one from the front and continues to bottom of left AJC valve (green) behind and under fairing pocket.

Back of right carb

And some more

JD

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks - no wonder i was confused ( and no wonder it ran poorly) it was mis-plumbed when i got it - i'll connect it as shown and see how it runs.....

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

That leaves 16 and 17 which goes to this not identified part in the front of the fairing pocket. My notation identifies top one as 16, no mention of 17 though.

A crop

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Excellent shots!!

If the "unidentified part" is that which sits in the upper left of your right fairing pocket in your photo (circled in red)

it is the Air Jet Control, Part # -17470-MN5-013 and is a pricey little sucker @ $357.72

from Cyclemax (
part # 16 in diagram)

The Air Jet Control isonly found on the 88 and 90 models.

No such beast on my 92 Aspencade. ..... just the solenoid valves (items 21,22 & 23 in diagram) showing two of them (22 & 23) in this shot, above the Sub-Air Cleaner FilterElement.

Dusty

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

Yep that is the part I was referring to. Thanks.

As for the picture part, taking pictures standing still is nothing. I usually do it from one of these.

JD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.