Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning all. This concerns a 1994 1500 SE w/28K

I finally worked up the courage to tackle the carb/vacuum issue. Right now, I just have the air filter box off. I found a vacuum line that is supposed to go to tha filter box,no.3 green I think. Back of box on left side, underneath. The box has nowhere to attach it. It was just open ended.

Here's my question. Should I leave it like that(open), or plug it? I held my finger over it, and really don't feel vacuum. Then goosed the throttle and felt it. Once I goose the throttle, the noise from the crankcase tube going into the box, green no.2 I think, get's very quiet and stays that way til I let go of the vacuum line.

I'll take a break and see what y'all think.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
imported post

Looks like the #3 green goes to a connection at the bottom of the airbox (closer to the outside edge near the hot air control valve that is located under the air filter)

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Luxo2r wrote:
Looks like the #3 green goes to a connection at the bottom of the airbox (closer to the outside edge near the hot air control valve that is located under the air filter)
That's what it looks like in the manual, but there is no connection point on my airbox.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
imported post

can you make one? a small screw/bolt and a nut and drill the screw/bolt prior to installation? Maybe use a tiny bit of silicon on the threads so you get a tight connection on the vacume line. Or even epoxy a vacume line coupling to the bottom of the airbox. *****The airbox may have been changed at one point and the wrong one installed by a PO.*****

Attachments

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK I'm a moron. I was looking at the bottom. There's a spot up near the seam of the two halves.
I'm still having problems finding a vacuum leak. Nothing obvious. Is there room to get under the carbs by just removing from the boots without disconnectingg everything?
How do I check the vacuum lines? I don't want to replace all of them if I don't have to.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I put it back together, and there's a definite improvment. Still surges, but less often and not as high. The hesitation problem seems to be gone(so far).
I cut back one hose that had some small scratches in it. Cut it open and couldn't see anything on the inside. Maybe the green 3 hose wasn't connected. Maybe all the idling helped. I don't know what it was.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
imported post

Underneath the carb is a rubber mat (sort of) under that mat are several vacuum lines. When I had a bad surging issue the carb came out and took a peek under the matt and found a couple of lines in very poor shape (dry rotted) one replaced the surge issue went away, it was detected by spraying carb cleaner at the base of the carbs and the motor revved and that was a n easy way to tell that some vacuum line was sucking air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.