Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Alrighty... so I'm a newbie and and still trying to figure out what's what on the forum...

Last week I bought a 1996 Aspencade. About 43K miles. I LOVE this bike. I had a few carb problems at first but the dealer, Cowboy Honda fixed those out of good will. (great folks BTW) I have now noticed a distinct, if not excessive clicking coming from the left valve cover at certain rpms.

could anyone speculate as to what might be the problem. Are the valves adjustable on the GL1500's? If so... what might something like this cost to fix? I hate to cause additional damage by continuing to ride it. I like the bike too much!

Thanks

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

No way to adjust them as they are hydraulic, but it could just be a slight exhaust leak. Also, have you given it an oil change recently? :baffled:

Dusty

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Dusty,

Actually the Honda dealer I bought the bike from says they changed the oil just beforeI bought it, upon inspection it did appear that the oil had been changed... the oil was clean... the filter was new... and their was recent evidence of the oilhaving been drained around the plug.

I do suspect that the bike had been sitting for awhile... any advice on how I might loosen that tapping lifter?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

I would pour in about a half quart of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to the crankcase.

You might check to see if that would over fill it first, and drain off some just in case.

That will free up the hydraulic lifters (if needed) and then the clicking just may well go away.

It did for me, only I used a pint of Sea Foam and let that run for about 500 miles. Same results, which ever you use.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The hydraulic lifters on a GL1500 are adjustable. There is a special tool that determine the shim(s) thickness.

The hydraulic lifter system is pretty funky. They cost about ~$50 each. The shims take up the slack and the idea is to get the lifter within a certain range.

If you take the lifter out, relieve the fluid within to allow them the then pump up.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the dealer sold the bike without really giving it the service it was due for.,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.