Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any GL1500 valve covers that are in great shape for sale? Or, does this site have a "polisher" that does this kind of work. My bike is from Louisiana originally and the covers have some pitting on them and I would like a little bling on them. Thanks:bow:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Or...

You could come to the dark side...

We have cookies!

T

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Let us know what it cost to shine those up when you get a price from Sunnbobb.

If you have the time and the equipment you can do it yourself, it's just time consuming. I did it on my '77 and on the '82 1100 I had and the polished aluminum gets close to the look of chrome. As long as you keep it clean and polished it will still look very nice. Sunnbobb has some How To's on the NGW site, you just need patience to clean any lacquer off and then polish, polish, polish, polish!

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
Or do a basic polish to get the pitting out & have them powdercoated. That is my plan if or when I find a set of valve covers that aren't priced like they're made of titanium.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Let us know what it cost to shine those up when you get a price from Sunnbobb.

If you have the time and the equipment you can do it yourself, it's just time consuming. I did it on my '77 and on the '82 1100 I had and the polished aluminum gets close to the look of chrome. As long as you keep it clean and polished it will still look very nice. Sunnbobb has some How To's on the NGW site, you just need patience to clean any lacquer off and then polish, polish, polish, polish!
Getting the lacquer off is the easy part. Just get a spray can of paint stripper. Spray it down and wash off with water.

Most of the blemishes and pitting you see is in the clear coat that Honda coated there chrome with. A light buffing and your good to go.

Kurt

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.