Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well after trying out my picking up the bike in the garage test, I found I need to replace the "worn out" chrome mirror trim rings that are next to the fairing......

I figured while I have the mirrors off I would also try to fix the vibration from the mirrors. While ridding I cant see anything in the side mirrors from them shaking.

I also noticed on the right mirror a deck screw going behind the mirror (thinking this is from the PO in an attempt to repair) Is there something I can tighten up, or replace? I'm thinking the mirrors may be aftermarket (there all chrome)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

There is a hinge behind the mirrors that has 3 screws in the mirror and 3 screws in the motorcycle mirror mount on the bike. Either of these can come loose. The plastic in the replacement mirror that the screws go into on mine seem more brittle than the stock mirrors. The mirrors are designed to "break away" so to speak if they hit something. If the screws become loose and you try to hinge them, the loose screws will break the plastic in the mirrors. Don't ask how I know. In order to tighten the the ones in the mirror itself, you'll have to remove the 3 first in the bike mount in order to remove the mirror to get to the ones into the mirror. I'd say the PO may of stripped it out. I find the after market ones I have are a tad more delicate than stock. If there not tight, they certainly will vibrate.

Hope that makes sense. Maybe someone will come along with an illustration that shows this better.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sounds as if your bike took an unexpected nap! ;)

Your mirrors are in fact, after market.

I went through this with one of my OEMmirrors, as one of the two POs must have 'bumped' the leftmirror pretty good, leaving ita bit on the loose/'floppy' side, resulting in a blurry image when I looked in the mirror.

After a few temporary, limitedsuccessful, but ultimately, unsuccessfultries, Rudy came up with the solution, while I was visiting him this past summer. Thanks again for acting as my 'unofficial support crew' this summer, Ric! :waving:

WARNING: Do NOT attempt to use Thread Locker to the screws in order to hold/tighten the mirror mounting screws, as the thread locker eats/dissolves plastic!

The best way to keep your mirror bodiesfastened to the swivel mounting bracket, securely, is to use a couple of appropriately sized flat speed nuts and Stainless Steel countersunk machine screws, that we found at a local well stocked hardware store.

Once you have the mirror removed and the three screws backed out, make sure the screw holes go through the mirror body, as you will need to placeeach speed nut on the 'inside' of the mirror housing (move/tip mirror glass out of the way as much as possible. We could only get two speed nuts in place, as there wasn't enough roomto holdthe bottom front one) as you tighten up the countersunk machine screw, which is placedthrough the swivel mounting bracket mounting hole, through the mirror body and into the flat, speed nut.

See photo:

IIRC, the machine screws were # 10s and either 5/8", or 3/4" long(?). You don't want the screws protruding too far inside the mirror housing, yet long enough to grab hold of the speed nut to start the tightening process.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find any SS speed nuts. Although we could only fit speed nuts/machine screws to just two of the mounting points, (the other one did snug up/tighten enough on it's own that it hasn't backed out) the two speed nut/machine screws will fasten the mirror body to the swivel mount very securely!

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Sounds as if your bike took an unexpected nap! ;)
Well, the bike was ROTFL :ROFL:literally when I tried to ride :action:my push lawn mower yesterday. figured after 3 letters from HOA :readit:to trim my yard I needed to do something about it.

I like the idea of the speed nuts, I'll need to take off the mirrors and check that out. Also not sure if anything was damaged from the PO deck screw in the mirror housing.

Are the aftermarket mirrors worth anything or better to find some OE mirrors from flebay? I'm also looking to add some kind of turn signal to the mirrors - any suggestions?

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Dusty, the speed nut idea is a good one. I have a "bumped mirror on my 1200. Was thinking about installing nutserts but the speed nut is a better idea.

When I get the motorcycle shop functioning I am going to put the wing on the table lift I am building and take the fairing off. The bump moved (bent) the support frame back about 1/4 of an inch. If one looks at the instrument area you can see it is not square to the main bike. Of course now that I saw it once I see it all of the time.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Like I said ...... The Speed Nut idea was all Rudy's. :bow:We had a good time messin about this past Sept! :coollep:..... although I had already stayed a week or so longer than I had planned and the open road was tuggin my soul, I was kinda sorry to leave, :sadguy:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Like I said ...... The Speed Nut idea was all Rudy's. :bow:We had a good time messin about this past Sept! :coollep:..... although I had already stayed a week or so longer than I had planned and the open road was tuggin my soul, I was kinda sorry to leave, :sadguy:
Of course you paid for that delay in bad weather all the way home.
Told ya to hole over down here. :cool:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

well ... you know my philosophy onthings happening for a reason that are not clear at the time.

Keep that 'porch light' burnin for me, Leroy!!! :coollep:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.