Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am intending to fit a voltmeter by cutting a 2" dia hole in the rectangular knock-out panel reserved for mounting the CB unit on the LHS of the inner fairing above the cold air vent. (I don't have a CB unit).

There is plenty of room behind this panel for the depth of the voltmeter, so space is not a problem. But I'm a bit concerned that the weight of the meter may be too much for this panel to stay in place when clipped back in. Any ideas on how to keep this panel securely in place while still allowing for easy access to get at the back of the voltmeter? Or is there a better place to mount a voltmeter?

Once I have a good location sorted for the voltmeter, what is the best way to wire it up?. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

[suB](What a great site this is. I get a lot of value from so many answers to so many questions thatI never thought I needed to ask!)[/suB]

Peter A, 1991 GL1500SE.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I just installed a voltmeter on my 1984 Aspencade with a lot of help from the members of this forum. Works and looks great. If you do a Search on this site for voltmeter, you'll get lots of help. These guys are great.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Peter, the knockout panel will support it, I´ve seen it done before. If you still want to play safe, get one of those drilled ally strips that they use to hold car radios in place at the back, and bend it so it will bolt to a location behind the knockout panel.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Peter A Sorry about dragging up an old post, but did you do the install? Do you have pics? I'm thinking about getting the Honda marine voltmeter that Peterbylt used. (near the bottom)
I plan on adding a power outlet(cigarette lighter) and a horn type button (so I can wire a garage door opener up). I even thought about getting the chrome CB accent piece. It has two holes that would work for the lighter and push button, but the other opening is square Link. Here is one that comes with a lighter, but does not have a 2" hole for the voltmeter. I don't realy need the chrome, but want it to look nice. Anyone who has done this or something similar, I need pics. Thanks

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

You can buy a very light and flat volt meter from Autozone and wired it to a 12v source. The meter has 3 status indicator lights with a digital readout.I mounted mine with velcro up where I can see it while riding. I think the meter ran $13.

·
Premium Member
60,973 Posts
imported post

I have my volt meter there with no problem..
1 thing to think about:
If you go for the middle of the panel down the road if you want to put a switch next to the meter will you have room ??
I'd keep the meter to one side.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.