Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the old left fan was bad as you slowly rotate the fan, you can feel the armature bub against the brushes, also bench checked bad. bought a nice used one and it ops. ck good, and rotates smoothly. warmed up the bike to normal operating temp. the rt fan runs but not the left one. wire tied the connector, and die-electrical greased the connection on left side .,also the left turn signal is on and won't turn off.
also getting the idle hunting. idles at 500 rpm. thanks for your thoughts. lb

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
1 fuse runs both fan, 1 switch runs both fans. If you have power and ground at the connector the only thing to conclude is the fan motor is bad, did you bench test the replacement?
Does the signal keep blinking or is it just on?
Have you tried turning the idle speed up? Round knob under the gas door.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes bench checked good.
the new fan runs when power applied.
left turn signal keeps blinking, but worried about the fan first
if the engine gets up to operating temp, and a bit more, the coolant switch closes and both fans should operate. IMO so i suspect a defective wire from the switch to the let fan.i'll see what the diagrams tell me. thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i've got a service manual. pg 5-4 i think both fans are hot, just looking for a ground thru the thermostatic fan motor switch. didn't want to take the tupperare off the right side , but why not. i love working on the ground.ug!

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
ok i've got a service manual. pg 5-4 i think both fans are hot, just looking for a ground thru the thermostatic fan motor switch. didn't want to take the tupperare off the right side , but why not. i love working on the ground.ug!
Thermostatic fan switch should turn in the bottom of the left radiator. If you study the diagram below it seems the issue must be related to the red part of the circuit given that the right fan works. Keep in mind a check with a voltmeter or test light alone is not valid. You need to test the circuit under load.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts