Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Have a 97 SE 1500 we went on a benifit ride yesterday. It was hot, at one stop the them gage got down to 98 deg. Most of the time while riding it was well over 100-109. Bike ran fine all day long. As we were on our way home it started spittering and sputtering like it was not getting fuel. At one point I thought it was going to quit all together. But it kept going but slow. It had 1/4 tank per the gage. We were riding into a storm and it started raining and feered I would be on the side of the road during a thunderstorm but as we got into the cold front and it cooled down my bike started running great as it usually does. Was this just vapor lock from the heat and a low fuel level? What should I do if it happens again.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hmmmmmmmmmm seems to be a lot of posts like this lately, mine did the same yesterday, it felt and ran like it dropped 2 cylinders, barely could get it up to 45 mph, parked it a few hours and all was good again

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Sound like a fuel starvation, something like a vapor lock, possibly high vacuum within the tank then a boiling vapor from the liquid fuel causing vacuum, higher vacuum then an equalization of pressures with the low barometric storm. Glad it resolved itself, a PITA sitting out a rainstorm at the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

if it was vapor lock you would know it vapor locking is bad the motor wont even turn over it just locks up

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I have a 96 SE and i'm having the same problem.Changed both the air and fuel filters and it still does it.Also ran some seafoam thru it. Whenmine quits i open the filler cap and let the pressure out. I'm still tracking it down.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...not vapor-lock, No...

As mentioned, a vapor-lock is just that, no fuel at all, ...dead, done, end-of-story. Vapor-lock occurs not in the fuel tank, but iafter it. Usually in the lines that supply fuel after a pump.

A vacuum, Yes. In the fuel tank. Especially with the temp flucuating, but more importantly with barometric pressure. Combine temp and pressure and you've got what you describe. A properly working vented fuel tank cap will solve that problem.

A vapor-lock creates enormous line pressures that a carb fuel-pump cannot overcome with its low working psi ratings.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
As mentioned, a vapor-lock is just that, no fuel at all, ...dead, done, end-of-story. Vapor-lock occurs not in the fuel tank, but after it. Usually in the lines that supply fuel after a pump.

A vapor-lock creates enormous line pressures that a carb fuel-pump cannot overcome with its low working psi ratings.
Vapor lock. There's a term I haven't heard in years. As the "capt" says, vapor lock occurs in the fuel lines. Generally after a hot soak. The mechanical pumps weren't powerful enough to force thevapor out and start fuel flowing. Since the advent of fuel injetion, with pumps that develop well over 60# of pressure, vapor lock has become a thing of the past.

High temperatures affect all components. It's possible an eletronic component is over heating and going open. With that said, my money's on the fuel cap.

Drilling the cap may solve the problem, but I don't relish the fact that fuel vapors are climbing my keester on hot days. One spark..........

·
Administrator
28,950 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
if it was vapor lock you would know it vapor locking is bad the motor wont even turn over it just locks up
?????????????????????

Drilling a hole in the fuel cap will probably just make it worse, if it was vapor lock which I doubt. The cap is supposed to hold a certain amount of pressure in the tank which keeps the gas from boiling. Gasoline (US) was reformulated in the 1980s to have lower vapor pressure so vapor lock was pretty well made extinct then. If your cap has been drilled or otherwise does not seal it is possible the fuel boiled and the pump could not pick up enough.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
:?I think you are confusing vaper lock with hydro lock where liquid enters the combustion chamber and causes severe engine damage like bent rods and such.

Not true with vapor lock

:?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

did ya'll ever ether lock a engine

i have many many times it just seizes up and wont turn over

so thar ya go

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i have ether locked a few and yes you pretty much just have to sit and wait it out, what happened to my injected model yesterday was it felt like it dropped 2 cylinders while i was riding, i had been running at 75-80 mph and when i got off the interstate i had to sit at a red light for like 5 minutes, it didnt get hot on the guage only 4 bars but when i took off i hit 2nd gear and she stumbled badly and was like she lost 2 cylinders, it tried to pick up and then fell on her face again, i was where i was going so all was ok, it sat for like 3 hours and when i got back on her she stumbled out of the parking lot, i was justabout to get my phone out and call for a trailer and she got her feet under her and took off and the rest of the trip home was uneventful,,,,,,,,,, dont know what caused it, i was thinking it was a coil dropping due to heat but i'm not sure what it was and unless i duplicate it i cant find out

i was going to contribute it to just plain being too hot outside but then i think of people like dennis riding in 115 degree weather??????

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

It seems like that is a common complaint among the fuelies in hot weather like we've been having lately. Although I have yet to see on mine cause I am not riding it yet till I get the charging problem resolved. A guy I know that has a SEI said the same thing about his. Said it has never done that before ??????????

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i'km also wondering if the gas we are getting is getting worse?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Dont know if this makes sense but this summer i have noticed that gas left in a fuel tank for even a few weeks , goes bad and gives off that skanky bad gas smell ...?
I noticed it with my riding mower .?
Am i all wet here or is gas not what it used to be ?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I am one of the several that have posted these same problems lately. I was talking to Greg at Gene's Gallery about it, told him I have checked the fuel shut off and fuel pump, according to the manual, both check great. He suggested checking the vacuum hose that goes to the ECM and the vacuum hose that operates the fuel shut off valve. Said they have found leaks in either of those and that can cause the problems we are having. Haven't had a chance yet to check, but it is next on the list!! Makes sense?!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ANYTHING makes sence, but i have a white durango for the wife to drive around doing errands, the whole left rear quarter panel gets like a black mold on it, my 1971 ford pick up, the area around the filler neck does the same thing and its red, its the gas, and i never saw anything like that till lately

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

ChuckAmen wrote:
Said they have found leaks in either of those and that can cause the problems we are having. Haven't had a chance yet to check, but it is next on the list!! Makes sense?!
I would suspect a bad vacuum hose wouldhave more consistant complaints. Not just after the bike gets hot.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.