Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 GL1500. I maintain it well and it runs great. There's a chance Momma and I will be repeating a trip from the Seattle area to Jacksonville, Florida this year. There are no symptoms of a bad pump but the bike now has about 112,000 miles on it and the trip will probably be 6-7,000 miles and I don't want to be screwing with a water pump in the woods somewhere. So do you think the water pump is nearing its end? Is there an easy way to check? How hard is it to replace? Any help appreciated.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Mine went at 74,000 but it had a 3 year low usage while my friend was going through treatments, so if yours hasn't had any long periods of sitting unused it may hold up a while or a little?
A new one at Western Honda is $123.
If you are worried, peace of mind value?

# 01 WATER PUMP 19200-MAM-A60. $123.23

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Terry, if it were my bike and not having any symptoms of trouble with the water pump, I wouldn't hesitate to take off and not worry about it. Maybe I like to live dangerously though, eh? :ROFL: If you are worried about it, by all means replace that sucker before leaving. I would think that even if it started giving trouble on the trip it would deterioate slowly enough for you to get back home before anything really bad happened.
I think I would be more concerned with the fuel pump than the water pump. I have seen a lot more threads on fuel pump trouble with the 1500s than water pumps.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I should have added that I ran mine local @3,00+ miles after it started leaking, very slow at first. It was a drop or two for a while. Is there any oil showing under the pump and rearward? That is the tell tale.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
I would think a water pump on a Honda would last a couple hundred K at least except as Stu pointed out it has sat a lot. Or if it has had a silicated antifreeze in it. Also a trip like that is easier on parts than short trips and it is really not that far when you think about it. Less than 3 months average riding for me.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terry, if it were my bike and not having any symptoms of trouble with the water pump, I wouldn't hesitate to take off and not worry about it. Maybe I like to live dangerously though, eh? :ROFL: If you are worried about it, by all means replace that sucker before leaving. I would think that even if it started giving trouble on the trip it would deterioate slowly enough for you to get back home before anything really bad happened.
I think I would be more concerned with the fuel pump than the water pump. I have seen a lot more threads on fuel pump trouble with the 1500s than water pumps.
Already did the fuel pump samba a couple of years ago. Luckily it didn't quit outright and I managed to get home another 400 miles or so. So fuel pump is new-ish.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Run it...you'll be fine.

Super easy to replace. Remove the two big and two small hoses, unbolt it and plug a new one in.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
The water pump is probably not going to leak much while it is being used regularly. In my experience, when the bike is parked over the winter in a cold garage is when you find out if the pump is leaking and needs replaced.

gumbyred.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Seems more happens to these bikes the less they are used. I am close to 100k and have yet to have a hard part (oil, water, fuel pump, etc) show any signs of anything.
If it were me, unless there is inidcation of an impending issue, I would ride on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.