Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

when i wash my 1500 , it won't start untill it dries off. what is the most logical thing that is getting wet?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I never wash my bike, for that reason, most likely is anything related to the ignition especially the high voltage side, plus any sensor, and I mean any. Water and voltage mixed with salt and dirt equals problems.

Wash the bike with a sponge and hand wash, easy on the water and no garden hose.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

ARKnapp instead of just living with it. i would seek and fix, it could cause an accident, what if you're on the highway and suddenly a storm falls on you, you dont want ur bike to die in the fast lane...

i would start by spraying some water on the main switch, kill switch, around the bike electronics and try to spot the place that causes it to die. when i wash my bike im not cheap with the water, garden hose all around it just not directly into the speakers.

G

·
imported post

Wash my 1500 with a garden hose with a spray nozzle.
It always starts right up afterwards.
Im gonna go with william.
You need to find the problem before you do get caught
in the rain and it kills on you.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I ride my bike in all kinds of weather so I would have to fix it and fast. My guess, the spark plug drains need to be cleaned out but check everything to make sure.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

Ignition wires

·
Administrator
27,777 Posts
imported post

Ditto newbiker, probably the aging plug wires.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I agree but If its just wires it would probably start but run badly, missing and back firing. Unless all six are shorting out.Water up a spray bottle and hit the wires plug caps and all see if the idle changes on each .

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

I would would try the water test as well but with a process of elimination starting with the most likely: 1. Items that would be common to the ignition i.e. side stand switch 2. Kill switch 3. Reverse lever switch 4. Coil wires 5. Plug wires Good luck! :waving:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Might help to start from the bottom, then go up.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

My biggest problem comes from after washing. She wants to miss until warming up then runs fine. The spark plug drain holes are the culprit on my Aspy. Took a thin wire and reemed out the drain holes and Voila! no more problems.

Riding in the rain is no problem, she plows right thru without a miss.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

time to check wires, plugs, and electrical connections, like everyone says, you should be able to ride in a heavy rains with no worries

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.