Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, after riding 180+ miles I shut the bike off in my driveway. When I went to start it I heard a faint click and all went dead. Master fuse and 15amp inline fuse are good. After a few checks I saw that the ACC portion of the ignition switch is working, i.e. radio, etc. so that ruled out the battery ( which had over 13vdc).
So, before I go thru all the hassle of tearing the front fairing off to check the ignition switch at the fan housing is there anything I'm overlooking here?
Thanks in Advance
Ron

·
Premium Member
12,063 Posts
First thing I would check is battery terminals
Make sure they are clean and tight.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That could still be an internal short in the battery, have it load tested.

It could be dirty contacts in the start switch or ignition switch.

Was the bike fully in neutral?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, bike was in neutral. Radio plays, but only in ACC. In the on position nothing works...no lights, no radio and no horn. Bike is completely dead. I will check battery cables in the morning.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The big hint here is that with the ignition switch on you get nothing but in ACC it plays the radio. If I had to guess I'd have the battery load tested. At the very least clean the battery terminals and conections for the positive and negative battery cables. Both ends.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Check fuse 11, if that is okay does relay 6 engage when the ignition switch is in the on position. The difference between the ACC position and the ON position is that when the ignition switch is in the ON position the voltage is routed to Relay 1 (horn/turn relay) and to Fuse 11 to Relay 6 (ignition/cruse relay) also to Fuse 12 which is the Headlight relay fuse. If you have no voltage at fuse 11 and fuse 12 in the ON position then I would look at the ignition switch wiring connector or the switch its self.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who said, "Check the battery cables," you were right.
Thank to all who responded...
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.