Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning a app. 5000 mile trip june-july and would like to know what tires are the best with 2up 340lbs plus trailer . bike is 1500 .

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
All of the M/C tires are rated the same weight rating for the GL1500 990 lbs
You would have to go to a C/T to get a higher weight ratings, as many have here.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
F.Y.I.
Own '95 GL1500 sidecar rig almost 13 years. Learned thru use: Metzler 880 Marathon REAR tire has weaker sidewall than Avon Venom, so stuck with Venom[front & rear]until switching last riding season to Austone rear tire[SUPER tire for our rig!]. Venom rear tire was TOO WIDE to fit in my swingarm. Avon widened it over previous Venom and it rubbed on right inside of swingarm. Austone is a God-Send! My two cents.
.....papasmurf
P.S. Still run Avon Venom FRONT tire, as it handles well on our rig.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
As long as you're using a tire that's rated properly for the bike, the most important thing is to run the correct tire pressure. I believe most of the common tire problems start with improper pressure...and some of them don't show up until later in the tire's useful life.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Actually, there is one MC tire in stock size that is rated for just under 1100 pounds. I ran it before I ran the last E3. Crap- I wish I could remember the name of it!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
The tires on my forklift have a fairly high load rating.

Oh wait, just because a tire might 'fit' on a motorcycle does not mean its a good idea.....

Bill

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
What's the difference between Dunlop 3 Elite Radial or Belted ? Can someone explain ? Do you need radials on a Goldwing ? I want to match the front with what is allready on the rear.
Thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The 1500s come with bias ply tires, not available in M/C tire listings for GL1500 to go to radials.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
But.... some have run the GL1800 radial on the front without a problem(was put on at a dealer unknown to the purchaser)
I have toyed with putting one on the front as I am Darkside radial on the back anyhow(for more weight capacity and longevity as well as superior handling)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.