Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings all...a little bit of a dilemma that I'm hoping you all can shed some light on.
I have a '85 Limited Edition that already has a 1500 drive unit in it.
The 1500 wheel and tire is sitting in my garage...and the bearing in the 1200 wheel has just about had it.
It's got 216,000 kms. In the springtime I thought I would try some JB weld and peen around the bearing...worked for awhile...now gone again.
My concern is in the height difference of the 1500 wheel.
I have a 150/80-16 Metzeler tire coming next week...hoping that it would be somewhat lower than the 160/80-16. My research indicates that it should be.
Because, I'm only 5'8" or so, and shrinking (an age thing) with inseam of 31-32"...and because, I really like the current height set-up...am I setting myself up for disappointment, by putting the 1500 wheel on there??
I guess I'm really hoping to hear from some of you who have done this change on the 1200, and what your thoughts are.
Of course, my other option is to locate a '86 or '87 wheel, which had the steel sleeve insert.
If you guys would have a few moments to kick back a response...it would bee greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I have no experience doing the conversion but can shed some light on the sizes. As far as tire sizes, you can play around with this:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Using the 150/90-15 as a comparison, the stock GL1500 size ends up being just a hair under 1/2" taller. Not a big difference. Now with the 150/80-16, that ends up being .18" smaller than the 150/90-15. Then using the GL1500 rim, if you are so inclined to to go to the "darkside" and use a 175/60R16, that would be just over an inch shorter than the 150/90-15 and would be a great choice for those that are inseam challenged.

Just a few things to think about.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Have you thought about taking the 1200 wheel to a machine shop and having the "wallowed" out area turned and an insert pressed in to enable you to use the OEM bearing??

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

The 1500 wheel is 1" taller than the 1200 wheel, but the 1500 tires are much shorter than the 1200 tires.

Standing the two side by side in my garage I found the outside diameter of the two to be identical at the treads.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.