Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was about to buy OEM front wheel bearings for my '99 GL1500. I see I can get an All Balls set including seals on ebay for 23 bucks including shipping. That's half of discounted OEM. Any opinions on the quality of these bearings?

Also, I need a left front rotor. Western Honda wants $230 for one. I can get EBC for maybe $25 less but that close I'll probably go OEM. Lotta money for a lousy rotor. Any opinions, other sources?

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
The all balls are good name brand bearings, maybe even the same brand Honda uses. That much for a rotor I would go ahead and spring for the OE.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I just checked on eBay and you can get a pair of rotors for $200 including shipping, one rotor for $110. I purchased 3 stainless wave rotors for Red from China for $170 and so far they are excellent.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Have '95SE sidecar rig [12+yrs.]. Had it about 4 years, when new tires were again necessary; pulled both wheels. Decided new wheel bearings were very good idea, due to the stress sidecar use puts on 'em. Got bearing p/ns and their cost from local Honda shop.
Then went to local bearing dealer [Northeast Bearings, Manchester, NH]. They had all bearings [except one] in stock, at less than half OEM cost. Oddball was a dual, stepped rear wheel bearing; exclusive to GL1500, which I had to buy from Honda. Still saved more than enough to cover the one OEM. Will probably change 'em all again this Summer and do the same way. My two cents. RIDE SAFE....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH :)

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I'll get the All Balls & OEM Rotor (gasp). Ansimp - thanks for the input. Some Chinese stuff seems to be OK & some most definitely isn't and for brakes on a behemoth I'd be afraid to risk it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I put a brand new EBC rotor on the rear of mine. It came to me very slightly warped, just enough I can feel when I brake. If/when I replace the fronts I will go EOM.

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
FWIW, even though All Balls is highly regarded for their steering stem bearings, they don't have the same reputation with wheel bearings. They tend to not have enough grease in there and wear out prematurely. It is an easy fix though. Even though they are considered sealed, you can still pop off the side cap very carefully and pack extra grease in there. Then pop the side cap back on. That is what I did when I installed my All Balls wheel bearings. So far so good.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
FWIW, even though All Balls is highly regarded for their steering stem bearings, they don't have the same reputation with wheel bearings. They tend to not have enough grease in there and wear out prematurely. It is an easy fix though. Even though they are considered sealed, you can still pop off the side cap very carefully and pack extra grease in there. Then pop the side cap back on. That is what I did when I installed my All Balls wheel bearings. So far so good.
And we have another victim of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty Doubt).

The All Balls bearings like any other double sealed bearings have the correct amount of the correct grease in them when you get them.
You're doing yourself no favour by over packing them with what is perhaps the wrong grease.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I wouldn't open the bearing seal either. If you did it would seem necessary to be sure the grease you use is compatible. A sealed bearing really doesn't need as much grease as a hand packed bearing because the seals keep out dirt and prevent the grease from escaping the bearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.