Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased a 1997 GL1500SE a year and a half ago. Because of the need for new tires, I have the wheels off. Using Steve's guide to cleaning wheels that have been neglected for years. I started with 400 wet/dry paper, then 600, then 1500, then English Custom Polish Metal Polish & Restorer, then Showman's Ultra Fine Polish, and finally Custom Blend. I must say they look pretty good. Now I am advised that I should coat them with clear coat to keep them looking that way.

My question is: with the Custom Blend polish on them, will the clear coat adhere or do I need to somehow to remove polish.

Advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I did my forks the same way. I had the same question about clear coat sticking & was advised that there is now a protective film on my forks from polishing. I was told that if I touch them up once per year I would be fine. Time will tell but Im going to leave them and see!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

The problem with clear coat is that if you get stone chips, moisture starts to penetrate in underneath it again- like with the original finish. It sometimes doesn't adhere well to the polished surface either. I cleaned mine back (as you did) and gave them a good polish with alloy polish, followed by wax polish and they still look good a year on. I use a wax shampoo to clean the bike with- that's all. I haven't polished them since. Maybe others will come along with a recommendation of a good quality clear coat. Steve

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

Globerover I was thinking of doing the same to my 1997 GL1500 SE is there a chance that you could attach a picture (before and after if possible) to see how they look now.

Thank you

Terry

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture before, but they were in bad shape with no indication of a shine. I didn't know what they were supposed to look like but I wondered how those ring of fire lights could reflect off the wheel. Now I know.

It was a LOT OF ELBOW GREASE to accomplish the cleanup. I still have sore hands. If you look in the feedbacks, Steve from UK says he polished with alloy polish and then wax and his stilllook good after a year. I think that is what I will do. The front is the one seen and most shiny surface and not too hard to get off, so if it doesn't hold up,I can always do it again. The rear only has small amount of surface to shine and isn't seen much, so won't worry about it since it is major task to remove. Could reshine on a lift if necessary. Hope this helps.

It looks like I figured out how to attach the photo I just took.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Well done Globerover. They look fantastic. :clapper:

Do you want to pop over and do mine ? :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Hello Globerover. Welcome to the forum from over at Downs. Just a thought on your wheels. I saw a set that had been to a powder coat place the other day. Looked very nice. From what I hear you can just take a hose rinse them and they continue to look new. I know that Powder Coating Unlimited in Bloomingtop will do motorcycle wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.