Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the engine back in my '94 Wing, realizing that I did not take enough pictures on dis assembly and as a result, have no idea where everything goes on the top end (mainly vacuum and coolant lines, line clamps on clutch housing) and I have to wonder, What's up with the black rubber mat over the intakes and under the carburetors? what does it do? is it a heat barrier? what does it do??

Main question is, does anyone have any step by step tear down pictures of a carb removal or engine removal they can post? I'm quite frustrated trying to figure out the lines using the service manual.

help!

Jeff
"DJ Kaz"

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I would guess the rubber mat is both heat shield and air deflector, helps prevent the hot air around engine from blowing upwards towards carbs and rider. My guess anyway.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
In the "fuel" section of the service manual is a very good diagram of all the vacuum hoses and vent tubes and fuel lines etc. yes the black mat is a heat barrier for protection for all the ignition wires, fuel and water lines as the intake manifold gets extremely hot. I will go through my pictures tomorrow and get them sent off to you.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bobby!! I PM'd you my email address. I promise that as an alumni of UNL I will never ever ever badmouth Oklahoma again!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bobby for pointing me to the right area in the service manual!! I thought I'd seen a drawing of all the hoses while I was flipping back and forth pulling the engine and fixing the transmission, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen it!!!

Thank GOD for Steve setting up this page, I'm sure it's kept many a 'winger from going totally batsh** crazy!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hey Jeff…

The black mat over the intakes is not needed. I don’t know the intentions of it but it’s not needed.

Last year winter I replaced my engine and after messing around with it for 20 minutes or so I got ticked at it and cut it up in little pieces so there would not be any more issue with its fitment. Not one of my shinny moments. It was pretty rotted up and falling apart anyway when tugged.

I went on to put over 24k km on it last year in both extreme heat and near freezing conditions. No issues at all.

Tim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.