Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is a little embarrassing, but keep in mind it's coming from a newbie GL1500A owner.

I got my new alternator today and was getting ready to install it. But, I can't find the Ground wire on the motorcycle. When I pulled the old alternator the other day I recall not noticing where the Ground had been plugged in, but figured I find it when I installed the new alternator.

After an hour of searching and taking off stuff, this is the only place that I could find that might have been where it was plugged in at (see red arrow). It was stuck up in that black support with the other wire. Is that the right place to ground the alternator?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Wouldn't the alternator be grounded to the frame simply by mounting it?
I believe you are absotivly corrupt!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Ok, I was wrong calling it Ground. It's the BLK/LT GRN wire that I'm asking about. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
vtxcandyred wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Wouldn't the alternator be grounded to the frame simply by mounting it?
I believe you are absotivly corrupt!!!!!!!!!
Meaning? :baffling:
I'm guessing he meant that you are absolutely correct.
GRINGO!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

Hi jblack. Did you remove the wire from the motorcycle harness and not just from the alternator? The wire you are referring to, I believe, is the wire that has 12v on it when the switch is turned on. If you unplugged it from the bike harness, I would test on the plug you have pointed out and see if it has the 12v there when it is switched on. If so that is probably where it came from.

That is a really good looking 1500 there also.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Hi jblack.  Did you remove the wire from the motorcycle harness and not just from the alternator?  The wire you are referring to, I believe, is the wire that has 12v on it when the switch is turned on.  If you unplugged it from the bike harness, I would test on the plug you have pointed out and see if it has the 12v there when it is switched on.  If so that is probably where it came from.

That is a really good looking 1500 there also.
Hi Bellboy40. You're right, that was the right wire with 12v when the switch is turned on.

The new alternator and sealed AGM battery are now installed and the bike is running great. I went with the 95 Amp alternator from EMS Global that several other members have tried with good luck. The EMS alternator is physically bigger than the OEM alternator, so it was a tight fit but it did go in with some finesse.

Thanks for the complement. The previous two owners took good care of it. Now its on me to keep it up.

Time to ride now...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
This is a little embarrassing, but keep in mind it's coming from a newbie GL1500A owner.

I got my new alternator today and was getting ready to install it. But, I can't find the Ground wire on the motorcycle. When I pulled the old alternator the other day I recall not noticing where the Ground had been plugged in, but figured I find it when I installed the new alternator.

After an hour of searching and taking off stuff, this is the only place that I could find that might have been where it was plugged in at (see red arrow). It was stuck up in that black support with the other wire. Is that the right place to ground the alternator?

> I do not see the image you're referring to.

> Regardless, to remove the alternator you only need to do the following:
1) Disconnect the Positive lead from the battery
2) Remove the 3 mounting bolts that hold the alternator to the engine --Ref this supplies the electrical Ground you refer to.
3) Remove the alternator just outside the frame, then disconnect the wire leads going to the rear of the alternator. (If you have the stock honda unit, then you may also have a round cb-filter to remove also, on the side)

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I pretty much followed those instructions except that I didn't disconnect the BLK LT-GRN wire when I pulled the alternator out. Didn't notice where it had come unplugged from and couldn't find the connector for the install.

All is good now though :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

Love that larger picture. That is a really pretty bike. I have always liked that color on a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i have just installed an alternator and it came without that wire and worked good, it is not a ground wire, it is the exciter wire but now new alternators dont need it they are automatic.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

The BLK/LT. GRN. wires should have a white connector on them that plugs into the back of the alt.
If you cut these wires while removing the old alt. you must retrieve the plug from the old alt., reconnect the wires to the plug and then plug it into the back of new alt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.