Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1988 GL1500 will not crank. It will spin until the battery runs down, but seems to not be getting any fuel. It has been cranked a couple of times during the winter, but have not been able to get it to start for a couple of months. Just now getting serious to work on it. I pulled the air filter and sprayed a little starter fluid in the carbs and it tried to fire, but did not start. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

I have learned over the years that the Battery on a 1500 must be fully loaded and almost 100% condition otherwise she wont start. So start at the Battery.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

If it tried to start with starter fluid, probably not this, but, make sure the Run/Kill switch is in run position and fuel is in the tank. I know, kinda dumb but some of us have missed things like this.
Really need more checks. As SA Wingrider said-good battery. Then check if plugs are firing and if you are getting fuel to cylinders.
Also a starter should not be run for long periods of time without a rest to cool.
Others will be along, hopefully, with more suggestions. Good luck and keep us posted. Might be me next time and I may need information you post.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I would pull a plug and see if it was wet, if not the problem is definantely fuel delivery related. remove the air filter and try the throttleand see if you have gas squirteing in the little pipes. If you have fuel going in then itis most likelyspark, check by hooking up the plug wire to a spark plug and lay or (hold if you are brave) the plug against the motor, then crank it over and see if you have a bright blue spark, if it isn't sparking or isn't blue that is the problem.

But if you have fuel and spark, maybe the fuel has went bad, drain and replace, and add seafoam.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

SA Wingrider wrote:
I have learned over the years that the Battery on a 1500 must be fully loaded and almost 100% condition otherwise she wont start. So start at the Battery.:action:
My 1500 started perfectly never had a problem, then one day it would not start or even light the head light, found the battery was bone dry, that did not happen overnight, so it ran with a dry battery for a while.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

If you are fighting to get it started, use jumper cables. GW batteries are small and drain pretty quickly. And yes, these GL1500 need a damn good high voltage to the ignition system; otherwise, they will not start.

Forget the starter fluid. A must have item, would be a battery charger or trickle charger. My lawnmowers start easier than my goldwing, and I never worry about charging it or storage.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I have a similar problem with my 1500se. If its left for more than a few days, the battery voltage drops slightly, and it wont start off the starter. However, I can rum it down the hill a little bit and it starts every time with about half choke. Get someone to give you a push. you dont have to be going fast at all. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Just had this happen to me and it was the battery, not enough voltage to open the gas pump but enough to turn over the engine. Had me stumped too! Buy a new battery and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks, I will check the battery more thoroughly, but it has been on a trickle charger and I even used a booster to crank. Does oil level make a difference on the GW? It has a small oil leak and I have to add to it occassionally. After adding oil on several occassions last season, it started right off, but not this time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.