Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, weird intro there. The previous owner used either glue or lock tite on those screws and I had HE** getting them off. I rounded out 3 of the screws and had to drill one out. Now I need to replace them. Anyone have any ideas on where I can find some or is there an alternative?
Mods, wasn't sure where to post this. Please move if needed.
Thanks guys.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
You'll need to get them OEM, as they are a bit of a specialty screw.

You'll need 2 of the # 40s and 3 of the # 39s, from this parts diagram.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Drifter,
If it is the red loctite (or any color for that matter) you can reactivate it by heating it to 425 degrees or so. If you can save the nuts (#6) they are the most expensive part. I have 4 of the #40 you are welcome to if you want them. I would invest some time and effort in saving the nut for $8 each though. Let me know if you want the screws and I'll get them out to you.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I spent a hour or so digging in my metric parts bin searching for some of those special Shoulder Screws I made on the lathe when I redid my windshield. But NOPE, they have disappeared into Cyber Space.

I took a larger Socket Head screw as I hate Phillips Heads and turned it down then threaded it. Worked great and I know I made extras.

Sorry,

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I got my replacements in the nuts/screws/fastener bins at the local Lowe's builder supply for about 25 cents each. I think they had an allen head instead of a phillips slot but otherwise were the same size. I put a small amount of anti-seize on them when I installed them.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Those screws lock up over time. I also had a heck of a time with them. I think I broke 2 of them! Anti-sieze was used from then on! I tried everything to loosen them, but they would not budge! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Yeah, those screws can be tough to get loosened up. When I changed my windshield I managed to get them broke loose with a pair of vice grips. The head was just big enough to get a bite on there to loosen them. That was two years ago when I bought the bike from the original owner with the original windshield on it.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
i don't understand why anyone thinks they need to be so tight. in fact i found that if tightened them down hard, it made it more difficult to adjust the windscreen up-down. I leave em loose.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Dusty, I appreciate the info. I looked at Lowes. I found screws that will work but no back nuts that come even close to what mother honda has. I would prefer the original OEM screw and nuts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.