Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi!
My 1989 GL1500 won't start. The headlights won't come on, nor the neutral light. I've read through a bunch of forums and decided that it was most likely the Reverse/Neutral switch. I just replaced the switch and the same problem persists. All the fuses are good and the battery is new. It was working last year until I left it on the slow charger for several hours. Does anyone have any clue what may be the problem? Thanks :?

Also, the radio, blinkers, clock, dash lights work.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

try wiggling the reverse lever up and down as we discovered on my friends 1500 his bike would jump start but not on the switch until i noticed the neutral light was not activating spent some time seeing the reverse light come on but no neutral. Eventualy the neutral light lit up and it started on the button. Hope this helps Derek

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for your fast response but I just found the problem! For whatever reason, the huge 55AMP fuse/jumper that goes between the battery terminal and enters the main system was blown. By blown I mean melted in half. For whatever reason, something must have shorted. I hope this helps someone down the road before they tear half their bike apart like I did :)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

Derek was 100% correct with my situation! My 95 Aspy just developed this a few weeks back.

Last night I arrived at a waterfront bar and my wife got off while I reversed the bike into the parking spot. Finally, Iam in the parking spot and about to shut her down, when I notice the neutral light is not illuminated. A few clicks with the gear lever in and out of first-to-neutral produced nothing...engine still running; everything appeared to be normal except for that light.

Oh well, I shut her down anyway, but could not restart her because of the neutral light not illuminating again! Well, I am thinking it is a gear shifter/switch problem, so in-and-out between first and neutral would do the trick...Finally after 15 minutes it DID illuminate andwould start. I never put the reverse gear scenario into play until Derek mentioned it....YES, THAT WAS IT! the bike gave me that problemwhen I recently used reverse!!! The problem was in the reverse gear/switch set up...not between first gear and neutral as I originally thought!

This morning I gotup to check it, after reading Derek's reply and there it was again...in neutral but without the light (yes, I pulled the clutch in for start and all the other things-kill switch, etc. but no joy) however, this time I took Derek's advice on rocking the reverse lever back and forth. About the 7th time "POP" the green neutral light is on and she started up like a trooper! Wish I knew about that last night at the bar.

Thanks, Derek !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.