Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having just gone through this scenario, I thought I would pass on what I found out.
The yoke/u-joint assembly for all of the 1500's and 1997-2002 Valks are the same part number. Problem is is that Honda has not manufactured them for over two years. When a dealer orders them, they are back ordered and then weekly the back-order is updated to the next week.

Honda lost it's vendor that makes them and has tried unsuccessfully to get another vendor under contract.
So what are the 1500, Valk, and trike owners to do?

The stock yoke assembly has a "staked" u-joint meaning there are no circlips or snap rings holding it together. It's a press fit and then staked.

Take your yoke assembly to a drive line service shop and ask for a Spicer 430-9A U-joint and have them machine the yoke to accept the U-joint and use circlips to hold it in. Now you have a replaceable u-joint instead of a waiting for a back ordered assembly.

BTW, the 430-9A fits a 2002 Honda CRV car and newer.
Please!! If anyone has more up to date information than I have, please correct me. I want the members here to get the most recent info available.
Thank you for reading. Hope it helps somebody out of a jam.

Carl

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,160 Posts
imported post

Now that earned an Index award! Thanks for this information.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:claps:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

It's a start!

I found specs for the Spixcer 430-9A and some more info at Rockford Drive Line (on line). That particular joint has a bearing cap OD of 0.791" and what they call "inside lockup" which is the dimension requiredbetwen the two yoke ears inside (or what it measures outside to outside of the retainer clip) is 1.315".

Chart list several others. I'm curious what outside to outside of cap dimension is for them.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Great information.. I love quality DIY (ok.. the next time) rebuild alternatives!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.