Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I hope someone can help. I like to take long bike trips with my brother. We've had some fun rides sometimes in the mountains and in the flatlands.

My bike will cut out and die usually at speeds above 60 and and while under load (towing a trailer or loaded down). I don't think the engine dies completely because I pull in the clutch and rev the engine let the clutch out and go (I don't pop the clutch). I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter. It doesn't seem to matter what type of fuel, temp of the day, an exact speed, or altitude. It seems to be a fuel problem.

I also have a problem starting my bike when it has not runfor let's say 2 weeks. I know that borders on neglect but it happens. I know this is a fuel problem because I have taken the top off and put some gas right in the carb and it will start. I wonder if the two problems are connected.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Howdy Moraarcher
Welcome to the Forum.
Yes it sounds like fuel to me but need more info.
First is the gas we get now is laced with ethenhol which attracts water. My bike will sputter for several miles after allowing it to sit for 2 weeks.
First you can add some seafoam to several tanks of gas and run it hard. But there are some questions. Do you have a repair manual?
How long have you had your bike? We need some history and its age too. Has it had an extended period of sitting, 2-24 + months sitting? If so was the gas drained out and the tank checked for rust?
Also you could have a problem with your fuel pump. There are tests to check its operation. You could have a blocked tank vent line. There are 2 black caps on the ends of plastic tubes behind the lower left engine cover that need pulling off and draining the gunk out of the tubes. Use a small container to catch the liquid.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Stu, thanks for the reply. I'm in the Patriot Gaurd too.

Yes I have a repair manual. Didn't see anything in there that addressed my problems. My wing is a 98 with 84,000 I've owned it for 8 years. This started about 4 years ago, but has gotten a little worse lately.

If I leave the bike sit for 2 weeks it will start but not without a lot of cranking. If it were sit for 3 to 4 weeks I could drain the battery and it will not start. I do drain "the tubes" every couple weeks. Once it starts it runs great and day to day it starts fine.

To avoid all the cranking I've opened it up and dribbled a little gas right in the carb and it will fire right up. Is there a check valve to keep gas in the line? Since this has started I've changed the fuel filter a few times and it didn't change anything.

On the cutting out problem, it happens most times when I have a passenger or towing a trailer and I'm going up a hill or passing.

Have a great day, thanks

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

That could be the bank angle sensor. A passenger and extra weight of the trailer can tip a borderline sensor off.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi

This has also happened with only a passenger and this summer with just me and a couple duffels on the back seat, no trailer.Did the 98s have those? Where on the bike are they located?

Thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Since you have already eliminated the fuel filter as a problem, next check I would make would be a vacuum test on the vacuum fuel shut off valve with a Mity Vac. Valve is right ahead of gas cap. Kits aren`t available anymore. Have to replace the whole valve. Expensive....
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I would also suspect a fuel petcock problem. They are extremely easy to bypass for diagnosis. Just search this forum for petcock bypass and you will find instructions on how to bypass it.

There are kits available on this forum under for sale. I ordered one two weeks ago, 32 bucks and an hour of time and your good to go. Try the bypass first and make sure you are getting good vaccum to the bypass valve. This is usually easiest to check after you have bypassed the petcock and with the bike running.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Mone did the same as yours. Pull the clutch in an away it goes. Right beside the gas cap their is a shut off valve. the diiaphram inside it has a hole right where it joins together. It will only get worse and someday your 1500 will just stop and not restart. Please do not ask me how I know. Gary Verhust from Verhurst bike and trikes has a kit to repair it. I paid 16.00 dollars about two years back. Your Honda Stealer will tell you no repair kit available and try to sel you a new one for over 200.00 dollars. Give Gary a call and he will fix you up. Kit is super easy to install and cheaper that buying a used one which may be no better than what you have. Roger

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks, I was narrowing it down to that or the fuel pump. I will check into it, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

When you resolve the problem, would you tell us what you found?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I sure will. It may be awhile though. Right now it is prime bow hunting season and then we will be into the snow season. Luckily I now have a heated garage so I can have it ready for spring.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

My Aspy has done a similar things a few times... the power just starts waning... I am twisting the throttle but there's nuttin' there. It doesn't really die, it's just sort of fading away for awhile.

In my case, it always seems to happen after (1) the bike has been sitting awhile. (2) I have done some sort of service. The latest occurrence of this was yesterday but it always seems to right itself pretty fast.

Dennis once told me it could be that the carbs were drinking deep and sucking some moisture into the carbs.

Personally, I think it is attributable to my pulling an air bubble out of the fuel filter... which I just replaced Sunday.

Could be something floating in the gas tank. I once found a plastic bag floating around in one. (that one had me stumped for awhile...)

Never the less, testing the fuel pump on the 1500's isn't that difficult and could eliminate that variable quickly.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I'm back after a long "nice" winter of hunting and ice fishing. Finally did the troubleshooting on the fuel petcock valve. The was no way to even get a vacuum on it. The diaphram must be ripped. Part is on order from service Honda.com
I'll give an update when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well It's fixed. The problem was the fuel petcock after all. You should be able to hold a vacuum if the diaphram is intact. It was like trying to draw a vacuum on an open ended hose. After sitting there all winter and the new part installed the bike started right up.
I want to thenk you all for your help. I'll keep checking in and help out when I can too.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Good to hear you are back up and running again. Thanks for completing the post as others will read it later doing a forum search it will help them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.