Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,

I am in the process of repairing a 1995 GL1500i that was in an accident. I'm currently working on the front end, and addressing a handlebar/tire alignment issue.

I have removed the forks (gonna have Progressives installed), and have noticed the upper tree and lower tree are not quite in alignment. The upper tree is in alignment with the handlebars, and the lower with the tire.

My question is (I have never had to disassembled a tree before) is the upper tree adjustable to align with the lower? Is there a "key" on the stem that the upper tree slides onto (thus self aligning)? As far as I can tell, the trees do not exhibit any evidence of being bent

Any advice or comments are welcome and appreciated. TIA

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Theres no locking tab to line them up. What you do on assembling is fit the lower with the bearings, then slide the fork legs up and then fit the uppr part last, sliding the fork legs in. The triple tree is made of cast iron, they usually crack ratjher than bend in an accident anyway. Check for cracks carefully.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Jason.

So, if I understand correctly, the top part is the one you align with everything else. I assume you would loosen the stem nut and turn the top part. And yes, you can be sure I'll check it all for cracks.

Thanks, Leyton

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

That's it Leyton, it's easy enough. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, somehow I missed this topic the last few days. Time for the mid 40s eye test I think!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi Jason,

Again, thanks for your reply. I understand the eye thing! I had to change to bi-gocals about 5 years ago! :eek:)

Your right about it being pretty simple. I torn into it last weekend. I decided since the bike had 55K+ miles, and the bearings were pretty dry, to replace them and the races. I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive to reassemble. I checked the upper and lower bridges, and they appear to be in excellent shape. No evidence of cracking.

Is there any trick to aligning everything upon reassembly? This whole thing started because the handlebars and the wheel were not in alignment. I also have heard of fork problems if alignment is not correct. I just want to get it right.

Again, thanks for your help.

Leyton

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

"bi-gocals"= bi-focals. See what I mean?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Only one tip Leyton. When you get it asembled and the wheel in just check the discs are not rubblin the brake pads. If they are, loosen the lower pinch bolts and fork brace bolts and tug a bit on the legs until there is no rubbing, then tighten it all up again. Good luck with it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.