Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Somewheres on the forum, I read about putting push button battery operated closet lites in your saddle bags and trunk. I thought what a great idea! So I went out and purchased some from Walleyworld and installed them on the top underside of the saddlebags thinking the lite would shine down and I could see whatever I needed to. After admiring my work, I closed the covers......BAD MOVE :shock:

The operating mechanism to open the bags need room to move back towards the bike, that releases the latch. Those lites kept the mechanism from moving, after closing the covers they were stuck shut because the lites were in the way of the opening rod that needs to move :X

After two hours, a broken old golf club bent to fit. and countless swear words I was lucky enough to have the back latch let loose where I could pull the cover enough to fit the bent golf club in and knock down the taped lite.
It all ended well, but who would have thunk:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds a lot like the kind of flub I'd do.:cooldevil: Glad to hear you got it back open with no damage.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Could be worse.... They might have stayed installed, only to leak battery-acid on your belongings, at the worst possible time.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I thought I was the only one who did things like that!:dude:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

thanks for having the nads to post on that, may save someone else lots o grief, but don't think i'd of told that brother:D:D:D just kidding. those that have and those that will:cheeky1::cheeky1::action::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Oh well,hate to out do you guys, here'smore interesting stuff.:D

Fitted the 1800 with a Wally oil filter sized for what I thought was an Accord or like.

Screwed it on and tightened by hand, asusual. Answered the phone, worked on the computer, had lunch and such. Came back and a puddle of oil is under the bike.

Got down and re tightened, answered the phone and more computer work.

Came back again, more oil on the deck. Re tightened with the wrench. :X

Collapsed the filter, more oil on the deck and another 20 min trying to remove same.:X:X

Inspected the sealing face and found the out edge of the filter making contact with the un-machined surface of the engine block. Hell, the o'ring never made contact. Had I started the bike, it would have been oil bath time. (more interesting stuff)

Back to the auto parts store for my old reliable PureOne.

Longboater,

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Here's a somewhat similar one from many years ago changing the oil on my car, but applicable to bikes (at least those with spin-on filters):

When you remove the old filter and discard it, take a quick look and make sure the rubber seal came with it.

When the rubber seal comes off of the filter and stays stuck to the engine block, and then you just spin a new filter on top of it (in effect pressing two rubber seals together), three things happen:

1. It doesn't go on as far as it should
2. It doesn't seal properly
3. When you don't bother checking for #1 and #2, and start the engine anyway, lots of oil comes out.

Ask me how I know. :)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
Here's a somewhat similar one from many years ago changing the oil on my car, but applicable to bikes (at least those with spin-on filters):......................................................

Ask me how I know. :)
OK, how do you know :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Unfortunately, years ago on my first car (75 Dodge Deamon), the filter gasket stuck like that. :shock: It was one of the first times I changed oil by myself. was basically clueless, just happened to be on the street in front of my brothers house. Not a good deal, without thinking I threw a bunch of dirt on the big puddle to compound the mess. :gunhead: I think my brother still loves me :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.