Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Search the Internet long enough and you'll find a thread like that for most any tyre ever made be they for a truck, car or motorcycle.

The poster gave no information such as road/weather conditions he just blamed the tyre.:shock:

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
imported post

Jim I run Elite3's on my bike and I'm pleased with them
I'll be replacing the rear in the next month or 2 and I'll
put another Elite 3 on it. What I've under stood is you
don't to run radial elite 3's on a 1500 I may be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Call me crazy:ROFL: . I have the E3 radial on the front and Wintersport ROF on the rear of my 1500 . I am very happy with the ride .

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Jim C.

I have running 2 E3's on my 1100 for the last 4 seasons with out any complaints at all. I am an all weather driver - huricane wind and rain and even a bit of icy slush once (that scared the willies out of me). Probably a total of 25,000 km or better.

I also have 2 E3's on my 1500 as well. I have only got about 1500 km on those and no bad weather yet.

My only complaint is the "noise" from the tread in the corners. They humm alot.

Tim.

BTW - +1 for what Ken said. You can prove anything on the interweb! :waving:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

There are many of us riding on E-3 tires. Sorry but you'll need much better data to back that post!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Running a E3 on the rear for a couple years.No complaints with performance but it is very noisy at slow speeds. Dunlop was aware of this issue. Will buy something else
next time.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

The dude is blaming the tires for lack of better knowledge and experience. E3's are among the best tires you can put on a 1500....

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Mine have performed flawlessly (E3 front and rear for last 50,000 miles or so). Frankly, the hum is not major nor irritating. Just turn the radio up if it bothers you. Mine did well from death Valley to 4" of snow between Mt Zion and Bryce Canyon (Did not plan on that one).

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I have almost 18k on rear e-3 and 14k on front, no cupping , excellent wear, just little noise..been running 41psi front and least 42psi rear unless pulling trailer then 44or45....IMHO-nothing wrong with e-3's. When this one wears out this spring ill be putting another one on to replace it...

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I run and will continue to run E3's on my 1500. I maintain air pressure at 41 PSI and haven't encountered cupping.
Yep, they humm a little when in a corner but, that's the tire tread telling me it's gripping the road......
You're already happy with your front E3 tire...so, be double happy with a matching rear tire

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

The ol e3 discussion. My thoughts are: I am told it is the only m/c tire with the high enough load capacity for the 1500, I have gotten great mileage out of mine 19,000 of hard riding. The noise is almost unbearable when it starts cupping on the edges, Ive always said I would not buy them again...but I am on my 3rd rear tire now.:? I just dont think I would like the ride of a car tire and the way it handles. This is only my opinion....there are many who would disagree. But they work well for me, and I would probably buy them again when i need to. Thats my 2 cents worth...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yeah, those E3s are dangerous. On my 1500 the rear tire only lasted about 24,000 miles, lucky it cupped and I took it off to get rid of the noise. Why, I might have ridden it another 3k or so since the tread was still okay. Oddly enough I got about the same mileage out of two more E3 rear tires before I sold the bike. That character in the link is a real odd duck. Might be best if he bought a car.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

I too have used the e-3 for 4 years. Other than the noise, no problem. I have not gotten the mileage some of you guys are talking about,some over 20,000? I run 41 front and rear. What's the secret? I run 2 up most of the time.

Wingrider59

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I've run the E3s on my bike and like them. Don't know how many pairs I have worn out, in all kinds of road and weather conditions. :?

I am a fairly aggressive rider, running solo 99% of the time and am usually heavily ladened, when touring (which I do a fair amount of)

On the rear, which are the most likely to cup and 'sing out' while riding off centre, especially if you ride mostly straight roads/super slabs ('squares off' the tire tread), I have always been pleased with the grip and the mileage they have returned. The lowest mileage I have ever gotten from the rear E3 was just over 32,000km/20,000mi, when I was running them at only 41 PSI. When I bumped that up to 44 PSI, then I was getting longer life out of them, even getting just over 48,220km/29,965mi out of one, but I certainly don't recommend running it to the condition it was in when I finally took it off and replaced it with a fresh one, but I could have easily gotten 27,000mi out of it. They wear a lot faster, as you approach the wear bars!

As for the E3 not having a spot to measure the tread depth in the centre of the tire ... :laughing: .... if you take a look at most of the tires nowadays that are a modern replacement tire for the 1500s (don't forget, the 1500s 1st came into production in 1988) the vast majority of them don't have that either.

In conclusion ... I'd take his 'dire warning' with a grain of salt! :ShakeHead:

Dusty

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Jim C,

I would concurr with the posts here. I can't say much bad about the E3's that I have run (always in pairs), and they stand-up well to most all abuse while offering durability.

About the only 'negatives' that I can offer is that they are cold-hearted and do take a few minutes to warm-up properly, and also, that they can present some odd behaviors as they near the end of their life.

I'm not a fan for the E3s in heavy rain and light snow/slush, but they return a predictable and stable ride.

For relevance, I've run 3 sets of E3s in the past 2 years for better than 45Kmiles.. all of these sets would have been made after the 1999 Goodyear/Sumitomo deal referenced in the link you provided. I could not tell you if any of the three sets were USA made (Goodyear) or Asian (Sumitomo), but I can say that the last set was my least favorite :) (well, that, and I had worn them to the tread-bars. ;) )

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
They wear a lot faster, as you approach the wear bars!
Dusty
Kinda like a toilet paper roller speeding up as it nearsthe endtoo.:action:

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I'm running a E3 on the front with a K177 on the back and I love the way my bike rides and handles. This sounds like the e-mails about spiders under your toliet seat. Oh well I ride in all kinds of weather with 43lbs in the rear and 41lbs in the front and so far no problems....

·
Steve
440 Posts
imported post

E-3 worked great. Had a set put on 18,000 miles ago and loved them. Replaced last year and am trying the Bridgestone spitfires. (less expensive) and also recommended by bike and dennis. (he has gone thru a few tires) When I had them mounted they gave me back the front and said there is still plenty of life left. So far 8,000 on the spitfires and I like em.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

I ran E-3's on my 1100 and now have them on my 1500. They did slip out from under me but it was my own fault not the tire. Almost any tire will slip if the given road conditions are right and the rider does not take proper actions. Use your best judgement because you have to ride the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.