Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've talked to a lot of Goldwing riders over the past few months regarding fuel mileage and have come to the conclusion that my 97 GL1500SE mileage is coming up short. When driving exclusively around town, I get anywhere between 24 to 29 mpg. When touring at highway speeds exclusively, I get between 34 and 39 mpg. Whether summer or winter, I always need to start with the choke on and I limit the engine RPM to about 2000. If I try to adjust the speed to less than 2000 rpm or turn off the choke too soon, the engine has a tendancy to stall under load. I've also noticed that during idle, whether the air temp is warm or cold, the exhaust seems to smell rich. I have recently changed the spark plugs and they didn't look too sooty. I also sychronized the dual carburetors. None of this has seemed to have an impact on the operation. When the engine is warm, the engine performance seems fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi snap shot if you take a look at this item it allowes you to see the explosion in the cynlinders as to what colour it is deep blue is the colour you want with this you can cheque each bank and elimate wether the bike is rich or lean and thenyou can back track from there i find this invalubile as i can tell also idle probs and on what carb it issets the mixture bang onthis one is the full price but you can pick them up for a few dollers on ebayhttp://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1822&cat=668

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
imported post

Snapshot, my 99 GL1500 gets me 35 on average (mostly highway miles). It runs fine, I just think that is the way they are. I have to fully choke mine when cold and 1/2 when it has run but cooled off for an hour or so. Not sure if this helps or not, but mine seems to be running just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

GL 1500's, when properly tuned, reasonably loaded, with a more or less standard windshield, properly inflated tires,good brakes, and driven mostly at highway speeds with the RPM below 3000 RPM---should yield around 40 miles per US gallon. Say it in any other units you like, but that is about the bottom line.:waving:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
imported post

Hi Snap shot.
Fuel Mileage is all done to how you ride for example.
My approxiamate figures are:-
Solo - to and from work (13 miles each way), nice a steady, 60 mph max I get about 160-170 miles per tank (42) mpg.
Solo - out for gentle run, same 160-170 miles per tank (42) mpg.
Solo -out for a blast round the twisties, goes down to 135-145 miles per tank (35mpg).
2 up - out for gentle run, 165-185 miles per tank (44-47 mpg).
2 up, fully loaded, holiday mode I get about 190 - 200 miles to a tank (47-51) mpg, very gentle throttle and many miles of cruising at motorway speeds (60-70mph)
70 mph and above can get down to about 110 miles to a tank (28 mpg).

I have found that if you open the throttle slowly, don't just 'whack' it open, the acceleration is virtually the same but the consumption is better. I think it is because if you 'whack' open the throttle, you are actually flooding the motor, too much fuel too quick.

As you can see, you are not that far off, unless............ if you have an Japanese import, or similar, check to see if the exhaust is clear, I know someone who had to remove a thick washer from either side of the exhaust collector box, some sort of restricting device.
regards
Stuart

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Fully loaded bike pulling moderately loaded trailer, I get about 36mpg with my '97 Aspy LE. Not pulling a trailer, I get between 38 and 46 mpg, depending on speed. I usually average around 41-42mpg.:)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

I had an 88 1500 and I averaged between 180-200 until the fuel light came on. It was that way for the entire time I owned it. I doubt I ever got over 40mph except for time in the mountains, then the mileage really shot up. My friend who had an 89 consistantly got 20 miles more per tank before his fuel light went on. I attributed the difference primarily to my taller wider windshield.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My 99 SE is triked, and your mileage is same as mine.I had a front caliper dragging when I bought it, and mileage suffered till I installed new pads.A caliper pin was worn and binding,dragging the pad.Good riding,jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
63,069 Posts
imported post

Isn't it a little hard driving around town with the bike idling at 2000 RPM ?? I don't know that would cause that, but I'd get it fixed.. Got to be hard on your clutch..
I think mines idles at 500 or 600 RPM..
I don't drive much in town but on the highway 42/43 if I stay around 2500 to 3000 RPM.. Above that 3k magic number it drops to about 39/40.. Running into a hard wind will reduce these numbers also.. 93 Asp 47k

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

300 mile trip Sunday coming home, running 60mph all day, got me 42.2 mpg. Saturday same 300 mile trip going the other direction running 70ish most of the way got me 33mpg. That 3K rpm mark seems to be the kicker. This was 2-up FULLY loaded as we stayed the night.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

On my 95 I get about 44 average and I have gotten as high as 50 when just cruzing the mountains. But so far I havent droped below 40 at all. But I do get less as I travel the interstate

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I've managed 200 miles to a full tank a few times (tail winds on motorway trips) and usually get about 160 (riding to and from work). The biggest difference I noticed was stopping Cruise Control - I got easily an extra 20 miles per tank full.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I haven't checked mine. Bought it last year, but didn't get to drive it until this year. I've put around 3,000 miles on so far. I just put gas in her and go, don't even care what kind of mileage she gets. Just love to ride.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

On my '99 SE, I've been averaging 38-42mpg around town and back and forth to work. Work is about 24 miles each way at an average 40mph. Solo trip last week of about 200 miles got me 45mpg. Similar trip with my wife on the back 2 days later dropped it to around 42mpg. Both trips were a mix of 55mph highway and secondary mountain roads. We did more stop and go with my wife on board.

I agree with one of the previous posts - easy on the throttle makes a difference. I see a big drop in mpg when I really get on it. I'll admit it's fun but I don't seem to get there any sooner.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

A large windshield will hinder things a bit, also. Some say they get better mileage with rider behind them. Apparently cuts down turbulance. One guy here has the biggest windshield I've ever seen, and he gets about 34, and he's a height challenged guy.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

94 SE get 4.0-4.2 gals on work RT of 147 miles. Mostly highway, divided 4 lane run 73-77 on the IS, around 67 on the smaller road. run now a K&N, keep good plugs in it, run a couple Oz's of carb cleaner every couple of tanks. Has been consistent since I bought it new. tires at 41 F&R all solo. Have slipstreamer windshield, the wind wings etc, mainly a standard gw. The milage is about duplicated everyday I ride it so it is consistent. I get 40-41 mpg on my 84 venture on the same route, of course it is a smaller bike, 4 cyl 1200. rpm on this is about 3800-4000 on the hwy, the wing is about 3400 so it will all depend on the bike and how its maintained and treated while riding. of course winds, terrain (up hill to work, down home)will also influence how it goes. Had over 200 once when pulling trailer with wife in Utah, got to green river with about .2-.3 gals in the tank. slowed to around 60 no extra lights on etc. had been running 40-50 mph on the back roads so that is how ya get the high milage.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

With my 97 SE - I am getting about 38 - 40. OF course I run about 70 - 75 most of the time. At 60 - 65 I could do better, but I like the wind. Seems your bike is fine. Mine is very cold blooded and will take about 2 - 5 minutes on a cool day to be warmed up enough to cut the choke and move out. I wouldn't worry about it - what is a couple of miles either way? It is the ride that counts!

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

My 97SE gets 36-56 mpg. Two up, loaded heavy, with a headwind & uphill grade, will barely get 36 mpg.

Solo,tailwind, no grades, no load,can get to 56 mpg.

A 2up daytrip staying under 3200 rpm is usually around 41 mpg.

[it did poorly when I first got it, but I ran 1/4 can of Seafoam through 4 tanks of gas, after changing the fuel filter twice & air filter to OEM.]

On a 2150 mile trip this Summer, 2up & quite heavily loaded, I got 39 mpg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.