Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My dad just gave me his '90 GL1500SE. Everything seems to be working great except the stereo. You can barely hear it at full volume when just standing next to the bike. I was thinking that maybe the speakers needed replacing, but should I be looking at something else instead?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the board. Did you check to see if the Mute button on the left handelbar is pressed in?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

if your mute is on it shows on the lcd in the dash if not in the relay box is a small 5amp fuse this powers the amp in the stereo might want to look at that

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I tried hitting the mute button on the left handlebar. It sounded the same either way.
I'll check for that fuse.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

I improved a lot the sound and the quality just cleaning the radio controls, you need to remove the radio from the GW.

I was thinking my speakers was worn, but know sound great

Just use a contact cleaner for electronics

Javis

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

If you're getting some sound but very distorted, it could well be the speakers. Even blown, they can put out low volume music.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Does the bike have all 4 speakers? How is the fader working? (failed connections at the fader effectively place the speakers in parallel - so the amp sees 6 ohms; not the anticipated 3) output suffers.... but not so you could barely hear it...

Unless there's other failed componants.

Let us know if "MUTE" is displayed in the dash LCD and also what you find on the Backup fuse (5A) that Agnogel pointed you toward...

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Before you dig into the speakers, make sure you have checked all of the above: mute, fuses (including the onein the relay box), switches, etc. They are the more common culprits (even though the speakers are "nothing to write home about", they are not the common failure).. also, speaker failure usually has a lot of distortion.. ULtimately you may need professional help.. Mine had a cracked board.. eventually after two failed repair attempts, I replaced the r$a$d$i$o

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

my radio just sounds garbled, had sierra go over it and gave it a clean bill of health but it sucks, i gave up on it. over $150. and it still sounds like crap. :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

satan wrote:
Let us know if "MUTE" is displayed in the dash LCD and also what you find on the Backup fuse (5A) that Agnogel pointed you toward...
Mute does display when the button is depress and goes away when in it's "normal" position.
Forgive my ignorance (I haven't been able to find the owner's manual), but where is the relay\fuse located?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
Fuses are on the left side behind the cover that's above the passenger's footpegs...
.. be sure to check both boxes (there is at least one fuse in the relay box)

·
Busdriver
1,036 Posts
imported post

The 5amp fuse you want to check is located in the relay box (to the right of the fusebox).As I recall it is sometimes tough to get into without removing or at least loosening off the left saddlebag.

·
Busdriver
1,036 Posts
imported post

The 5amp fuse you want to check is located in the relay box (to the right of the fusebox).As I recall it is sometimes tough to get into without removing or at least loosening off the left saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

busdriver wrote:
The 5amp fuse you want to check is located in the relay box (to the right of the fusebox)
I found the fuse. Unfortunately it was still good.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
imported post

LSC9901 wrote:
Do you have headphones for the sound system and if so how does it sound through the helmet speakers ?
good idea. That would greatly tell you if the speakers were junk.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

LSC9901 wrote:
Do you have headphones for the sound system and if so how does it sound through the helmet speakers ?
I do have speakers in the helmet. They too sound very weak even at full volume.

·
Pwhoever
3,078 Posts
imported post

I had a weird glitch on at least 2 occasions when doing work on the bike where I had removed the shelter and disconnected the radio while working on the bike. It was similar to what you are talking about where it wouldn't get very loud. Sounded the same whether mute was on or off. My fuse was also good. IIRC, I had to play around with having the radio on and pulling that fuse (#13 backup) and another fuse (#10 Acc). I had to fool around with it both with the ignition in Acc and in Off. I don't recall exactly in which order so you might have to play around a bit after I did it, I was able to get full volume back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.