Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought this GL1800 Honda new and have taken several trips on it in some really hot weather so I have a good idea of how the gauge should read. In preparing for my last trip I changed the coolant. The gauge seemed to read OK. Meaning that it started out at the bottom and slowly climbed to the mid mark as the engine warmed up and stayed at that mark. On the trip I got into some over 100 degree weather and the gauge did not go above that mark. Before when I stopped at a light the temp gauge would climb until I started moving again. This was not the case on this trip. I could hear the fan kick in but no change in the gauge. On this trip of over 6,000 miles I only saw the gauge go above the mid mark one or two times and then only slightly. I have talked to some Honda dealer mechanics with out any feedback other than bring it in and we will check it out. Any ideas before I start checking it out?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Speedway,
I suspect you are normal....I have never seen mine (2010) above halfway, and usually just a tick below it. The fans do a great job keeping my temp pretty steady at, or about half-gauge. Was your old coolant weak perhaps? (Hence you changing it, and would explain higher readings) Was the old coolant mixed properly? Are the fans coming on more frequently? Perhaps a stuck temp switch etc.
Again, half gauge is normal for me, and I remember a thread awhile back where everyone was saying the same thing.

PS: Originally from Hope Ind!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I bought my 1800 brand new in 2004. I have ridden in Death Valley at 118 deg without the bike heating up, even when stopping and letting it idle.

The gauge is non linear, meaning it will stay in the middle of its range most of the time.

The bike should not be heating up when you stop, but it will heat up if you are going slow < 20 in traffic when the temps are over 90 deg. This is due to the air coming into the front of the bike and the fans fighting the air that normally is forced through the radiators. The fans suck air in through the radiators and blow it into the plenum behind the front wheel. The incoming air and the fans fight each other and cause a stagnation problem that prevents the air from moving through the radiators. Faster than 20 and the fans will not come on.

I would guess that you corrected an issue with your bike when you replaced the fluid. You may have not had the proper amount in the system to begin with and now you do.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Mine stays at or just below half way when it's warmed up, even sitting in traffic (DC area traffic, lol). I think your OK and that you actually fixed a previous problem by changing your coolant. :) happy riding and welcome to the forum.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome speedway[/align]

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Hi everyone,I bought my 2003 goldwing with 4500 miles. From the day I brought it home I had a problem with the temp. gage showing a overheating problem. I talked to everone that said this was normal for the goldwing. Come to find out I had a loose ground on the frame. It cost me a lot of worry and a bunch of money but after finding the problem the temp. gage works great now. The gage stays just below the half way mark.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

************* wrote:
Hi everyone,I bought my 2003 goldwing with 4500 miles. From the day I brought it home I had a problem with the temp. gage showing a overheating problem. I talked to everone that said this was normal for the goldwing. Come to find out I had a loose ground on the frame. It cost me a lot of worry and a bunch of money but after finding the problem the temp. gage works great now. The gage stays just below the half way mark.
Who ever told you that overheating was normal was FOS:shock:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I don't think you have a problem. The old coolant most likely was past its best and wasn't doing the job 100%, and may have had air pockets in it. Your new coolant is probably working more efficiently by holding the temp at half-way.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Sounds more like a problem has been resolved. I've never seen my guage go above half way mark. 2007 gl1800

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi there. Could you tell me where was the ground loose in the frame? I am having the same over temperature indication. Already followed the troubleshooting ....water pump, thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, etc etc. :-(
Thanks !
Ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

The only time my guage has risen above half way was just after a coolant change I did in which I hadn't gotten all the air out of the system. It rose only slightly and was resolved by burping. I suspect you may have previously had air in it that has now been removed.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

speedway wrote:
On this trip of over 6,000 miles I only saw the gauge go above the mid mark one or two times and then only slightly.
Then the gauge and sender are working. The new coolant may have been a good move and beneficial to the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.