Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one , I have read MANY thread talking about noisy é rough gear change and ....at that point Ièm quite sure my Gl1800 might have something wrong
here the symptom
:
when the bike is cold the gear change are all of them very smooth , barely no noise and definatly no "clunk" sound
when the bike get warmer the gear change begin to be noisy
after 20 minutes riding it is definatly very noisy and come the "clunk" sound

I have change the engine oil from
rotella full synthetic 10w-40
to
rotella semi synthetic 10w-40
to
honda mineral oil 10w-40

same result
I have change the clutch fluid

same result

any ideal what could be my next step ..?

have a great day every one

GL1800
48,000 km

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
My bike has almost 63,000 and I noticed the shifter getting clunky this spring. Dont know if this is the issue with yours or not and couldnt hurt to try. I wound up lubing both heim joints on the shifter linkage. I found after all of the rain and dust and just general riding just took its toll over time. The lube made a big difference in mine.

·
Administrator
25,726 Posts
Usually noisy the other way around until the ECM lowers the RPMs. Is your clutch fully disengaging?
You can shift just as well without the clutch and it would be grinding or lurching going into gear from neutral if that was the problem.
Try a 10/30 oil soso565.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Usually noisy the other way around until the ECM lowers the RPMs. Is your clutch fully disengaging?
as mention I had the clucth fluid change for that reason ... i was thinking the fluid might be old and was not engaging the clucth properly ....but still same issue

the funny thing for me is when the bike is cold during 10 - 15 minutes , every is smooth and quiet during gear change .

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike has almost 63,000 and I noticed the shifter getting clunky this spring. Dont know if this is the issue with yours or not and couldnt hurt to try. I wound up lubing both heim joints on the shifter linkage. I found after all of the rain and dust and just general riding just took its toll over time. The lube made a big difference in mine.

I can try that lubing thing ....

just one thing can you tell more where i do have to lube ? please

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can shift just as well without the clutch and it would be grinding or lurching going into gear from neutral if that was the problem.
Try a 10/30 oil soso565.

Does the 10w-30 is thicker then 10w-40 ?

I ask that because , when the bike is cold ( during 10-15 minutes ) everything is quite smooth and normal .

so I was thinking when the oil get warmer ( thinner ) the noise appear

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I can try that lubing thing ....

just one thing can you tell more where i do have to lube ? please
Where the shifter goes into the transmission there is a linkage with 2 heim joints behind the left lower body cowl. I put my bike up on a jack and was able to spray into the rubber boots around the heim joints to lube them. Also when was the last time you cleaned and lubed the pivot pin and bushing on the clutch lever?

·
Administrator
25,726 Posts
No it is not but it is the viscosity recommended in an 1800 and oil is mysterious stuff.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
shifting

Have someone else that owns an 1800 ride it and see if they think there's a problem. (maybe someone on this forum that lives close by)

Or, ride a different 1800 with similar mileage and see if there's a difference.

Rayjoe

P.S. Stop reading those bad transmission posts!>:)

·
Administrator
22,364 Posts
I think what you should do is give the bike to me. Then, if it breaks while in my care, you won't have to worry about it leaving you stranded somewhere. And, at that point I will send the bike back to you for repair.
However, if I put 60 or 70 thousand miles on it and nothing breaks, you'll know you were worried about nothing.

No charge for my service...

...Wait. It's not red is it?
I don't like red bikes.

·
Premium Member
39,909 Posts
Have you tried shifting at different RPMs? After warming up my 04 likes it's 1-2 shift under 2000rpm or it will grind or clunk into gear. The rest of the shifts 3000 - 3500 will get a fairly smooth shift. Many 1800s do not have a smooth, quite transmission no matter what oil you use, but still give long dependable service.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I ask that because , when the bike is cold ( during 10-15 minutes ) everything is quite smooth and normal .

so I was thinking when the oil get warmer ( thinner ) the noise appear
Simply bleeding a clutch does not ensure it is releasing fully. I work on transmissions for a living. As unlikely as it is, there could be a warped disc or plate. Many 1800's that I have observed, including mine are somewhat noisy. When defining noisy we must have a benchmark. I have people coming into my shop complaining of noises that when compared to other cars are completely normal. You may be worried about nothing. I would suggest comparing it to many other bikes. I did read that you had bleed the clutch before I made the original reply. I have seen oversize grips cause problems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Noise and clunk are subjective terms. To a new wing rider it can be very disturbing and to a more grey rider its old hat. My 1800 and a few others I've been privy to ride with are all noisy from 1st to 2nd and after that its depends on how smooth the shift is executed and at what engine rpm. I was tending to shift too early under 2000 RPM, shifting above 2500 is a noticeable difference, and a habit to be formed. I find cold or fresh oil always quiets the shift noticeably but I suspect it is mostly in the Goldwing's dna. Really find the time to seek out a local wing rider with the same model and go for a ride along side and discus it with them, I think you'll find we are not alone and its more surprising to have a smooth and silent shift than a clunky one (at least to some extent!).

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where the shifter goes into the transmission there is a linkage with 2 heim joints behind the left lower body cowl. I put my bike up on a jack and was able to spray into the rubber boots around the heim joints to lube them. Also when was the last time you cleaned and lubed the pivot pin and bushing on the clutch lever?

I will try that this afternoon , thank you for your help

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one thing that i can't get is why the shifting is going real smooth when the bike is cold and after 10-15 minutes of riding i can feel and hear the noise and clunking get worst until bike is warm..

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Like a previous poster asked-by any chance do you have Kury Iso grips and Kury wide levers? On some wings the combination of both once the bike gets warm with the levers adjusted so its easy for the rider,the clutch doesnt totally disengage and you will get clunky shifts also. When its cold it will be fine with this issue but when it gets warm the shifts get clunky. Also if you have the stock lever is it adjusted so its easier for you to release the clutch? Also as previously posted possibly on one of the other forums you posted on. Have you checked your clutch lever bushing to see if its worn? Because if its worn badly it can cause shifting issues with the clutch lever.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.