Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Like a previous poster asked-by any chance do you have Kury Iso grips and Kury wide levers? On some wings the combination of both once the bike gets warm with the levers adjusted so its easy for the rider,the clutch doesnt totally disengage and you will get clunky shifts also. When its cold it will be fine with this issue but when it gets warm the shifts get clunky. Also if you have the stock lever is it adjusted so its easier for you to release the clutch? Also as previously posted possibly on one of the other forums you posted on. Have you checked your clutch lever bushing to see if its worn? Because if its worn badly it can cause shifting issues with the clutch lever.

s there a place where i can see or look how to check that clutch lever bushing ?
I try the shifther it self tonight ...and it seems ok to me ...I'm not a shifting guru but that shifter look ok to me

so i guess if I can look that bushing it might be a good thing
thank you

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
I would pull the pivot pin and lever and look and check to see if theres any play between the bushing and pin.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
really and just that can cause all that clunk noise ?....i will look that tomorrow thank you
I doubt that is your problem if there is one but the bushing was mentioned and most think of the pivot bushing when looking for it.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
quick update****

I change the oil "again"
I now run Rotella T5 10W-30
first runs was already much better regarding the rough and noisy shifting.

when I have dump the oil ...sadly there was few metal grind tiny piece in my pan .....

PS I will still look and lubricate le clutch lever and the shifther tomorrow after work ...I will post something friday evening

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
That don't look good. Will a magnet pick those up and can you gather them up and clean them for a better look?
The problem is not the clutch if it doesn't creep at a stop or isn't hard to get in or out of neutral.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That don't look good. Will a magnet pick those up and can you gather them up and clean them for a better look?
The problem is not the clutch if it doesn't creep at a stop or isn't hard to get in or out of neutral.

here few closeup pictures of the biggest particles that i found in my pan after dumping the oil
about magnet ....i will have to confirm that in few hrs ...hang on

about neutral few example:
when i ride and stop at a light in gear # 4 ...I can go down to gear #2 easily , to go from 2 to 1 I need to release the clutch a little and barely push the bike back and forward and then it goes to 1 . after it quiet easy from gear # 1 to go neutral

when I ride and proceeding to stop at a light I can easily go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to either neutral or 1 during the deceleration until full stop

------------------------------
PS
I'm french and i might be confuse between clutch term .
when I press the clutch lever toward the handle , I call it engaging the clutch

when i don't touch the clutch lever I call that the clutch is not engage

from what i read im not using the right term at the right place ( engaging and disengage )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Are those chunks metal? From the picture they almost look like carbon. If it's metal you have a serious issue.

·
Administrator
25,762 Posts
here few closeup pictures of the biggest particles that i found in my pan after dumping the oil
about magnet ....i will have to confirm that in few hrs ...hang on

about neutral few example:
when i ride and stop at a light in gear # 4 ...I can go down to gear #2 easily , to go from 2 to 1 I need to release the clutch a little and barely push the bike back and forward and then it goes to 1 . after it quiet easy from gear # 1 to go neutral

when I ride and proceeding to stop at a light I can easily go from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to either neutral or 1 during the deceleration until full stop

------------------------------
PS
I'm french and i might be confuse between clutch term .
when I press the clutch lever toward the handle , I call it engaging the clutch

when i don't touch the clutch lever I call that the clutch is not engage

from what i read im not using the right term at the right place ( engaging and disengage )

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Are those chunks metal? From the picture they almost look like carbon. If it's metal you have a serious issue.

i had a closer look at those small piece

all of those was carbon yes

the is 4 small piece that i was not able to crush between my finger but the are not metalic

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is there a chance that the debris fell from the exterior crankcase area when removing the filter and drain plug? I don't know what Honda uses for clutch material so it could be clutch. Carbon clutches in my experience tend to become smaller particles when flaking of the plates. I see it all the time in GM transmissions. Honda car transmissions have similar tendencies when the torque converter so often detonates from lack of hold off pressure. I would have the samples analyzed. I would change the oil immediately and also have it analyzed. If the clutch or engine has a problem your warranty will cover it. Better to drop the bike in the dealers lap during cold weather. They tend to be slower and more eager to do warranty work. The tech will be a little more patient since there is not much else to go onto when he finishes. It can be difficult to find a competent person to diagnose and be honest and upfront about the actual problem. Remember the dealer is working for Honda, and not you.

·
Trike Master
1,242 Posts
Remember the dealer is working for Honda, and not you.
Although I have little faith in "real" dealer" repairs, other than simple service items, I don't agree they "work" for Honda! Someone purchased a franchise and is trying to make money. Therefore most desire to keep their customers happy.
Having said that, the dealer is pretty much at the mercy of Honda, for warranty coverage, especially if the rep shows up for a review!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Although I have little faith in "real" dealer" repairs, other than simple service items, I don't agree they "work" for Honda! Someone purchased a franchise and is trying to make money. Therefore most desire to keep their customers happy.
Having said that, the dealer is pretty much at the mercy of Honda, for warranty coverage, especially if the rep shows up for a review!
So it would seem they are working for us. Yes, they are working on our vehicle. Dealers repair what Honda and the tech rep approves. Honda has reined in their warranty repair costs. They even took away the tech reps wing to cut expenses. They used to get a new one every year. Or so i'm told. I was told by three people (tech rep included) that my washing machine sound coming from the alternator drive gears was normal, "it sounds like a goldwing to me". My persistence got the defect acknowledged and repaired. My 2012 now sounds like a normal wing. Honda wants to satisfy us so they more often than not go over and above to make us happy. Honda just last year replaced a 2002 frame under warranty for a fellow local chapter member. The only way that happened was mother Honda ponied up the frame and paid the labor. Dealers work for Honda when warranty dollars are being spent.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The chunks appear to be small rocks or pebbles that one collects in oily spots and crevices. They could have been knocked loose from the bottom of the bike or even fell into the case during an oil change and sat there until drained out. I'd try to crush one and inspect it closer if successful, if it turns to sand you know its not part of your engine.

As for the down shift to 1st from neutral, mine has refused a few times unless I pushed the bike forward or backward a bit; completing the downshift when you are still moving very slowly prevents being left in neutral. I find it happens to me but rarely and only when I'm absolutely stopped completely.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.