Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone know how to open the clip that holds the front wheel ABS sensor cable? I've tried prying to no avail. It looks like it should pop open from the top but I don't want to break it.

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

It sure looks like it should open from the top.

JD

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

I think it does too but haven't been able to do it. I really hate to break it. Looking at the top backside with a mirror it definitely has an opening there but I can't seem to find what holds it shut. Oh well, I have plenty of time to fuss with it, the sensor that I was about to install was the wrong one, the vendor sent me a -A71 for a 2005 instead of a -971 for a 2001. Honda in its wisdom changed the connector. I'd splice the cable but though I'm sure the sensor itself is the same I don't want to take the risk with a $100 part.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
imported post

Looks like the same kind if line clip they use on Honda cars and they are hard to open. If you can get a slim screw driver in the gap between the inner and outer piece at the top end it should pop open.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

Good location to use the radiator hose removal tool.

JD

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I know the damn thing opens on the top but I've put some pretty good pressure on it without opening the thing. No rush since I'll have to wait another week or so to get the right sensor. Oh well, it's still sunny and warm and the Jeep has it's top down so not all is lost.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

What the hey, just smash the s?i& out of it and order the new cable stay. Can't be more than 5 bucks.:ROFL: And it will arrive at the same time as sensor. Then you can tell the rest of us how it actually opens.:badgrin:

JD

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Don't worry I'll be glad to tell you all how not to open it once it goes 'crack'.:X

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

I was always taught to start at the top and work your way down.

That seems to work in more than one endeavor.:coollep:

JD

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

I call it adult proofing, find a five year old, he'll have it open in seconds.
Just like those pill bottles.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

With luck we'll never know how the mysterious clip opens. I was puttering with the bike this afternoon and rechecking the air gap between the sensor and the toothed wheel when I discovered the toothed wheel was bent which caused an over spec clearance through about 90 degrees of the front wheel. When I had the problem with the ABs I initially checked the gap in about three places on the wheel rotation and somehow managed to miss this spot. The tooth wheel is fairly soft metal so it was easy to straighten it and get the air gap in the middle of the spec all way round the wheel. Makes me feel pretty dumb but not too dumb because it looks like that error's only going to cost me about $15 for returning and restocking the sensor I ordered, not the $115 I had in it. I'll know tomorrow, it just got too warm in the garage this afternoon so I'll put the fender back on in the morning and find out if that cured the problem.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

OK we used to call it a pick seems like the fella is calling the clamp something like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.