Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me if thelow beam headlights can be adjusted independantly, if so how.Iseem to have one beam higher than the other.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Look throught the handle bars just below the low beam lights. Will see a little box and an 10 mm bolt to turn. This adjusts the low beams. Can be reached from the front of the wing at the fairing opening above the front fender. Yes they adjust independently.:waving:

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

The upper and lower beam bulbs are contained within the same headlamp housing on the 1800 Wings and are not adjustable independantly of each other.
Having said that, one headlamp most certainly can be independantly aimmed as described in the post above.
Not only are there vertical adjusters for each headlamp but, horizontal adjusters also.

:Following is the correct pocedure for aimming the headlamps.

HEADLAMP AIM PROCEDURE
Proper headlamp aim is achieved by adjusting the upper(high) beams.
Bike needs to be on a level floor, standing upright, loaded as you normally ride. (re, 1up-you for most), with pre load set as you ride 1up, placed 25' from a wall to the headlamp lens in front of the upper beam. I would suggest the auto adjust dial be set in the middle position for this aiming.
Measure the distance from the floor up to the center of the upper beam bulbs. Mark this height on the wall and draw a horizontal line at this height.
Sight a point on the wall that is on the centerline of the bike. Draw a vertical line on the wall placed on this center line.
turn on the upper beams.
Cover one of the headlamps.
Use the manual adjusters accessed from under the fairing.
Adjust the vertical until the hot spot of the upper beam bulb is just under the horizontal line on the wall.
Adjust the horizontal until the upper beam hot spot is just to the right of the vertical line on the wall.
Cover the headlamp just completed, and repeat procedure on the other headlamp.
Make a small mark on the auto adjust panel so you can return to the 1up setting.
Now have both headlamps uncovered and have the usual passenger you carry sit on the bike w/you, set the preload for 2up, and dial in the auto adjust dial for proper aim and mark that position on the panel by the dial. You can repeat this for loaded 1up, loaded 2up, trailer, etc.
You get what you get for low beam aim depending on how good the headlamp design was to start with!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for your quick replies. No prizes for guessing what I wll be doing tonight.

Regards,

John S.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

A sanity check is in order. Those 10mm nuts are plastic. Just an FYI in case you are looking for a metal adjusting nut.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Wow, I appreciate this information. Especially about the bolts being plastic. I have the same problem with my wing. One side is aimed higher than the other. Since the bike is still under warrantee, guess who will be adjusting it, with me checking the condition of the plastic bolts afterwards, :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

They are easy to adjust as described. And yes the adjuster heads are plastic, but they turn easy and won't break.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

JWayne wrote:
They are easy to adjust as described. And yes the adjuster heads are plastic, but they turn easy and won't break.
Thanks for that info JWayne. First non Harley I have ever owned in 48 years riding, ;)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have a 2008 wing, and trying to adjust headlights I noticed and adjustment contraption with an angle gear under the lights. I turned them back and forth but it didn't make any difference. I don't see a 10mm bolt for adjustment there. What if anything am I missing, or is the adjuster not working?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

intruder1 wrote:
I have a 2008 wing, and trying to adjust headlights I noticed and adjustment contraption with an angle gear under the lights. I turned them back and forth but it didn't make any difference. I don't see a 10mm bolt for adjustment there. What if anything am I missing, or is the adjuster not working?
It is a 10mm PLASTIC bolt. Just moving it back an forth won't show much if anything. They have to be turned quite a few turns while watching the head light beams on a wall at least 10 or 15 or 20 feet away. Also remember to put the bike on the center stand. By the way that 10 mm bolt also has a Phillips head cut out but I didn't have a screwdrive that would fit in there.

Hope this helps

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

On my 08 the adjusters are 12mm. Pointing straight down up under the front of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have turned them many turns one way and then the other,and it seems like it makes very little difference. It almost seems like they are set as high as they will go. It seems to lift a little then drop back down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.