1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts

·
Premium Member
62,895 Posts
imported post

While you're in there, if you have any cruise control lag when you set it, this is the time to adjust it..

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

First time filter change is hardest, but the tutorials on this site and the members help make it much easier. The link Dave gave you also has this fine video tutorial, and you have everything you need right here.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I can see why the GL1800 air filters might not get changed very often. You really have to dig to get to them. Guess the engineers didn't think they would ever need to be serviced. ;)

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I'm replacing mine right now.....it sure is deep in there. Not complicated,but it'sa lot of hardware removal just for an air filter.

The tutorials are a great help.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

After doing it the first time. it isn't hard at all. Compared to some sports bikes it's a piece of cake really.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Ya, it's just intimidating the first time you do it, after that, not really a big deal. Still, that's a lot of parts to take off just for an air filter. I guess that's why mine was covered and black when I replaced it.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Air filters on some smaller bikes are a nightmare to swap out compared to the GL1800. That video and photos make it look easier than most people say it is.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
imported post

Also depending on your riding and conditions it doesnt need to be changed as often as they say. I changed mine at 25,000 and that was after going from the Midwest to the west coast and all in between. My bikes filter couldve easily been changed out at least until 40,000 after looking at the filter.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

I changed mine about 32000 miles ago and fortuneately I have an inspection camera. I just poke it down the air inlet for inspection and it's still clean.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

While you're in there changing your filter, take the screen off the old filter and cover the front of the intake horns with the screen. Works great to keep mice from using your filter as a condo.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
I changed mine about 32000 miles ago and fortuneately I have an inspection camera. I just poke it down the air inlet for inspection and it's still clean.
Isn't that a clever idea. Is there room enough to fit a narrow vaccum cleaner hose in and suck any dirt out?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
That's a great idea. I have access to a borescope and it could help decide when to chnage the filter! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

Want a slightly more involved filter change? Try an Airbag model.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.