Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dear forum having just traded a 1500 in on a 1800 I am a bit dissapointed by the amount of buffeting the rider and pillion get on these bikes.
I have just fitted a set of tulsa deflectors to the under side of the mirrors , made very little difference.
Any ideas or advice on which piece of after market plastic has the best affect would be most welcome.
Also I down loaded the template for the tunnel filler and had them cut from 100mm foam. Which way do they go in and not foul the forks ????.
richard

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well let me say this carefully, I really like the 1800 but I suppose I do have to admit it does have a couple boondoggles and the stock shield is one of them. I have no idea what the engineers were doing, or if they even did anything, I am sure they did, but at what speed and at what conditions? I also noticed a lot of that when I first got my new bike, especially over here where we can run at high speeds for extended periods of time and on the interstates with large vehicles creating even more to the situation.

You are not the first to complain of this. I think about 50 percent of riders complain of this.

I myself have done some things that mostly eliminated this situation, everything from moving the handlebars back which moved the airflow, to cutting one inch off the shield and running it full down most of the time. I like to see over my shield and I just use it for a windbreak to keep the wind force off my chest and from pushing my helmet back and creating fatigue on a long run. I still use the stock shield, and things I have done most likely would never suit most.

I do not know which shield to recommend to you, as I do not have experience with the different ones on the market, but I can pretty much just say, all the little plastic add on contraptions are just that, contraptions, they are not going to do anything other than maybe help in the summer heat to pull more air in, or deflect it in the winter, and even those in their own way create different air flow.

I think if the buffeting is excessive enough to move your helmet around, as is the case with some riders depending on your build and height, and height you prefer to run the shield at, that one of the wider and more friendly aftermarket shields is the only answer.

Exactly which one I have no idea, as even with those, one person likes this one, another likes that one. I do know a different shield will solve the problem, but may take several to find the right one, that suits your preference.

Kit

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I'm curious about why the buffeting seems worse in the winter. There was a thread some time back about a wind deflector that went behind the passenger backrest that was supposed to reduce buffeting.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

That would be the Kuryakyn rear airfoil. I just mounted mine last week. The SO said it did wonders to get rid of the turbulence that would come from the rear of the bike. I no longer get the draft on the back of my neck from the rear also. But I dont know if this would help with wind from the front. I have a Tulsa +4 windshield just for the reason thatI dont like being pelted with grit and dirt from Semi's while riding and with the stock windshield, whiplash from the buffeting. Its funny, my 1200 I can ride while wearing a ballcap with the stock windshield with no problems,but I cant do it with the 1800 with a stocker-go figure. Honda really dropped the ball or they configured the aerodynamics for a rider 5' 10" and under.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Hey, I guess that explains why I haven't a problem ...... I'm 5'-9" tall. My wife, on the other hand complains about the buffeting she experiences. Like the idea of a rear wind screen, but wonder how it may look. Bigmick, have you any pictures you can post showing how this shield looks on your ride? Tks.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Richard P wrote:
Also I down loaded the template for the tunnel filler and had them cut from 100mm foam. Which way do they go in and not foul the forks ????.
richard
Hi Richard, I have every shield made for the 1800 uppers and lowers, I get almost no buffeting. I keep the wind shield just below my line of site. Also the fillers go in from the bottom. Where did you get or find the template for the fillers? I don`t have them yet. Would like to though. I was told though they go in from underneath.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I'm curious about why the buffeting seems worse in the winter. There was a thread some time back about a wind deflector that went behind the passenger backrest that was supposed to reduce buffeting.
Aerodynamically speaking and in terms of density altitude or "cold weather" you will observe increased buffeting in any vehicle that passes through a combination of colder air and warmer air. Pilots know this well... Okay all of you current and/or ex-pilots feel free to expand on this!

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Steven
Thanks for the information, I found the template for the fillers on this site in the tech section I think.
I will have a look an let you know, If I can find them again.
Regards Richard

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Dougie you have a PM

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
Remember you heve to print it on A4 paper for the scale to be correct.
Thanks Steve, What s A4 Paper? Standard?:shock:Steve

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

StevenRose wrote:
wingnut wrote:
Remember you heve to print it on A4 paper for the scale to be correct.
Thanks Steve, What s A4 Paper? Standard?:shock:Steve
Select A4 from your print size options instead of US or letter. Most if not all inkjet printers here have the A4 option.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

Thank You!!

Got it and Printed.. Thanxs to all of you.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Hi guys,

I have the tunnel fillers and have removed it to do some work with the bike. I am having problem trying to fit them back on to the bike.

Can someone tell me how do i get them installed back. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
This will stop only buffeting from behind the rider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.