Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
On my '07 wing with airbag I just installed the Kuryakn #ku1462 on my bike. Looks and works great. But it obscures the airbag. Has anyone seen, heard or read about this being a problem in case of airbag deployment? Just wanna know. I may need to do something different if it does.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Looks nice..but I would think that it would be a hazard to both you and the airbag if the bag deploys. The airbag opens quickly and explosively, hitting the cup holder seems it would:

1. Break the cup holder and send it flying (projectile style) or
2. Possibly cause the handlebar to be abruptly pushed left or
3. Possibly rip the air bag, rendering it useless..

But what the hey...you can carry a drink now!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Touché. My thoughts exactly. I think the cup holder will go. I will add 2nd holder to passenger area and use from there!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found another cup holder to suit my needs. THis one folds out of the way when not in use. Such as local and city riding around town. For me, it leaves the airbag operation unobstructed when not in use. Then when on highway, holder folds down into place. Only minimal interference with bag operation if any. Could be a bit stronger, but so far it has worked fine without any complaints. I will use it the thermos as it has a snap to open feature which can easily be operated while bike is in motion. The water bottle on the picture was too snug to use. Im sure other bottles would be fine. Anyway, here is link to the cup holder. I mounted mine on brake side as I did NOT want anything to interfere horn or turn signal operation. Gloves make it a chore to reach by feel sometime.

Found it on ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33088117244...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
that water bottle lays on its side perfectly in front of the instruments (we don't need no steeenking speedometer). Also found that is slides into the tunnel nicely and is craddled there. However...you do want to pull it before returning to parking lot speeds where you might want to turn the bars to full stop.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Looks nice..but I would think that it would be a hazard to both you and the airbag if the bag deploys. The airbag opens quickly and explosively, hitting the cup holder seems it would:

1. Break the cup holder and send it flying (projectile style) or
2. Possibly cause the handlebar to be abruptly pushed left or
3. Possibly rip the air bag, rendering it useless..

But what the hey...you can carry a drink now!
I think #2 may not be much concern though. Hopefully the airbag will never deploy unless in a collision and in that case if trying to drive through a car or a tree the bars turning left would probably be the least of concerns LOL
Not sure how an airbag on a bike would be, but if like the one that blew in a mustang I was in ( blew from a few hard bumps in a nasty farm field driveway) holding the bars or controlling the bike is probably not going to happen anyway. When the Mustang bags blew the driver and I were both dazed a few minutes! No wreck, just slammed in face and chest with the airbags!

#3 may be possible, but if you ever played with blown airbags you'd see they are some pretty tough stuff. Normally made from Kevlar which is stronger than steel but can be cut easier. A hard poke probably would not harm the bags, but a sharp point or sharp edge could cut it.
Bags blow so fast and hard then rapidly deflate that a small puncture would most likely not harm them, by the time the bag blew hard enough to be punctured it would be going into deflate mode before it could burst and being strong material the puncture would most likely not even try to spread. Not like a plain old balloon that just pops!

#1 would be of greatest concern probably, but with the angle of the bag blowing it would probably just blow the cup holder off to the side if it broke it, not into the rider. At least that's what it look like in the picture.
Also if #1 happens then #2 is not an issue. If the cup holder is just busted off and blown away then it won't effect the turning of the bars.
Probably depends if cheap plastic or made of metal.

Issue #4 that was not mentioned, if the bag blows and hits the holder the drink in the holder could end up all over the rider. Yuck, sticky soda on the mesh jacket or worse fresh hot coffee in the face.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Issue #4 that was not mentioned, if the bag blows and hits the holder the drink in the holder could end up all over the rider. Yuck, sticky soda on the mesh jacket or worse fresh hot coffee in the face.
How could I have missed that!?! I just wasn't thinking!!:ROFL:

I have worn a Camelbak for hydration...just not coffee!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, entertaining. The concern with holder 1 was if bag deploys, it pushes handlebars to left mostly. Which in turn changes trajectory of centrifugal force of rider and bike. Thus the bag may become useless. I like having the extra safety measures. I am even considering the airbag jackets that are available. Mostly because riding in LA traffic can be a chore sometime. So it would be for local riding. But trynna justify the $500 for the jacket. Whew!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
How could I have missed that!?! I just wasn't thinking!!:ROFL:

I have worn a Camelbak for hydration...just not coffee!!
Water or Gatorade is for Hydration, coffee is just to enjoy from sunup to midnight.

Just got to remember that lady that did not know coffee was hot in I think Ohio LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Lol, entertaining. The concern with holder 1 was if bag deploys, it pushes handlebars to left mostly. Which in turn changes trajectory of centrifugal force of rider and bike. Thus the bag may become useless. I like having the extra safety measures. I am even considering the airbag jackets that are available. Mostly because riding in LA traffic can be a chore sometime. So it would be for local riding. But trynna justify the $500 for the jacket. Whew!
Remember by the time the airbag deploys you are already past any point of return. WHAM BAM and it is over! Most likely your front wheel is already embedded in the cars drivers door and you are heading over top it's roof, so who really cares what direction at this point the handle bars are turned Lol
You get my idea here right!

Basically once the forks start to mash back to the radiator and airbags blows anything else is just plain over and done with and you are just out for the ride!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.