Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How many replacements have you had, and what brands?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I personally have never had to replace an alternator or stator on any of my Goldwings and my signature shows how many I have owned.

But, I have an extended ride or two coming up and am wondering IF it is worth while to carry a spare in the trailer? either for me, or another who might have a bad day.

If you would please click on the number of times you have replaced your GL1800 alternator, and how long they seemed to last.

What replacement brand(s) did you choose. I am going to try and make this multiple choice, so click as many as are appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Never! 62K and growing miles and still on the alternator from the factory.

I always thought having a spare would be nice, but I wouldn't carry one with me on long trips. Worst case if it went on the road I would find an alternator shop, or if I had a spare on the shelf in the garage, I would just have a family member overnight it to my hotel room. Added cost ? Yes, but not worth the hassle to worry about it.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed the poll to make the first entry NONE, so John, if you would go mark that up please.

I got to thinking that has to be part of the poll to make this accurate.

I just texted the prior owner of my bike and he replied that all electricals on my bike are OEM original.

I feel extremely fortunate to know, and be able to talk to the prior owner. I am the 2nd owner, he had it since new... said it pulled a trailer for 12 years to every state in the union.

He has also provided me all of the documentation for everything that occurred. I have it all now recorded into a spreadsheet. Very impressive.... he was anal about oil changes for sure.... changed out Amsoil every 3,000 miles !!!

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
No need to spend that much..... Get one of these

Or one like it for half the price.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is more acceptable :)
Will think about that, probably never need it, but if you did. ... I remember Travis 385 having to get one at Eureka Springs couple of years ago.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
No that was Jack, we used Travis's tools to change it out with the donor alternator.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that was Jack, we used Travis's tools to change it out with the donor alternator.

ya know, now that ya mention it, Travis had to have a new rear tire, and I took him up to the m/c store east of the hotel about a mile it seems and they had two of them in stock !!! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Yes!!! But was it the rear or the front?........ I forgot, but he runs CT on the rear.

He had an impressive set up for tools and spare parts though...... Wish he would have posted pictures of that.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Well, it was an E3 that was purchased and I thought it was a rear tire.
was he running a CT at that time?
I believe he was running a CT at the time. Either way, it was a lucky find for him since he was at a Harley accommodation shop!!! Also lucky for Jack someone donated an Alternator for the auction that he was able to purchase on the spot!

Daveo430 was the only one in that event that was having a bad day. The images of that will stay with me for a long time...... Glad he came out of that as well as he did.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, so far, with only 3 polls up, it seems that 3 out of 3 have not needed to find a replacement 1800 alternator.

I am leaving this poll Sticky'd and permanent for a long term picture on the issue.

Hopefully the 1800s won't be as prone to alternator failures as the 1500s are.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Need to change my answer to none on the 1800-but I did have 4 changed out(one compufire)on my 1500 in 225000 miles.

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been traveling via Google and found this interesting Poll.

Poll on Alternator Failures.png

Based on those results it is a 50/50 crap shoot for ever replacing an '02 alternator period.

Obviously, at some point in time, it will need attention.
I have seen some posts saying their '01-'02 went to 260,000 plus on the OEM.

I think I will just buy one and throw it in the trailer and forget about it.
That way, I won't ever need it;)

·
Administrator
59,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poll #3 on Alternator Failures

More Google surfing has turned up yet another Poll with over 408 votes on Alternator Failures.
This one I think is more valuable than the other ones because it includes the Alternator Drive Gear as a failure point...

Poll 2 on Alternator Failures.png

·
Premium Member
59,745 Posts
They list 01 to 04 I wonder if those Starter Central alternators are the same as 06 and up

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
The '06 & up have "high output alternators", what the actual difference is I don't know, but they cost more on the parts schematics however I believe they both fit all gl1800s.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Haven'd had one on the 1800,but I've only had it a couple of years and it has approx 50 k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I had mine rebuilt at about 145,000 miles, brushes were halve bearings were still good, replaced all, cost $125 in Canada at a alternator rebuild place it's a bit of a pain to get out with a number of extentions to reach that one bolt that's hidden ... Stick with OEM there's lots of cheaper alternators but you get what you pay for .. Would you carry around an alternator for your car .. Not likely .. Same for me on a wing, I do carry roadside assistance like rescue plus or BCAA for any trouble I may encounter , it just becomes part of the adventure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.