Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2010 that I bought new and that now has about 10,000 miles on it. It has always made a very irritating whine from what I assume is the alternator/alternator drive. I don't typically ride with other 1800s, so I really don't know what is "normal" or not. I sort of got used to it, but for some reason in the past 1,000 miles or so it has really gotten on my nerves.

I made a short (1 min 9 sec, 1 MB) mp3 audio clip using the voice record feature of my sansa mp3 player taped to the left storage lid and posted it at http://pnplace.com/gl1800/gl1800whine.mp3 (you can also go to http://pnplace.com/gl1800 and right-click on the file name and select "Save Target as" to download it).

I plan to take it to the dealer to be checked, but before I do, I thought I would see what some of you think - do they all do this, or does this one have a problem? It runs perfectly other than making this noise.

I don't get rolling until about 20 seconds in (you can hear me slip the back tire on the gravel when I take off). I go out my gravel drive and then drive about 1/4 mile to the intersection. It makes the whine the worst at around 2,000 rpm light load - you can hear it at its worst at about 50 seconds into the audio.

I can hear it whine at all speeds even up through 75 mph. I have an F4+4 shield, so that does make it easier to hear, though.

I had a 2001 that did not make ANY alternator noise at all, so it is rather disappointing to have this one make so much noise. I knew the 2006 and up 1800s had some whine, but I did not think they were this bad.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

That sounds right to me Ben. From 06 the alternator spins a lot faster and makes more noise.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

I think you got a good one Paul, sounds less noisy than mine, and most of the 2006 and later that I see.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

:? I know this is an old post but it still applies. I just bought a 2010 Honda Goldwing and have the same exact problem. I just want to know if it was the alternator or not? I was so happy to get the bike that the noise was not that bad the day I bought it. Yes, it is still under warranty. I will be taking it to the dealership this week.
Great post.

Thanks
keith

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Keith, I have not done anything toward figuring out what is making the noise and/or resolving it. I was in apickup truckaccident over the winter (black ice on bridge - destroyed my truck, but all I did was separate my shoulder)and have just had a lot of other family issues and have not had the time/motivation to keep poking at the problem. That does not mean I don't want to someday get to the bottom of it, however.

I have about 13,000 miles on it now and it still makes the exact same noise. You know it ismaking a racket when you are driving slowlyin a downtown and people walking on the sidewalk are turning their heads lookingto see what that noise is:thumbsdown:

I have to take it in to the dealer for the brake recall before winter, so I am going to ask about it then. If you find out anything about yours, please post and let us know.

I have listened to the engine with a mechanic's stethoscope and it sounds like it is coming from inside the engine, not from the alternator. That would point to the alternator drive as opposed to the alternator, but then, who knows?

What I really don't understand is that some 2006+ owners have virtually no alt whine while some like us have a lot, and still others claim theirs is even louder!!! Honda must have some really bad quality control if this noise is caused by some sort of tolerance issue. I have seen the video from Marysville where they tested each wing - you would have thought someone wouldhave said"hey, this one is wailing like a banshee, there must be something wrong". I wonder if the 2012s are quieter?

Other than the whine, my 2010 has been flawless. The whine does not seem to affect anything, it's just, as we all know, really irritating. Some days it bothers me more than others. I do mostly freeway riding, so it is for the most part masked by the wind and engine noise (though I can still hear it some even at 75mph). Still, there is really no reason Honda could not have investigated this over the years and resolved it - it is not like they have not had the time.

Thanks for asking about it - I hope someday we can all find out what is causing the noise and find a way to quiet it down.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

For some reason it sounds like an airplane taking off to me I like it!!! In my little msg screen it says "Ready For Take-Off!!!"

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

For some reason it sounds like an airplane taking off to me I like it!!! In my little msg screen it says "Ready For Take-Off!!!"

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

With the Alternator being under the seat I really dont see how it could be that. It could be the timing chain? Unless it is plastic? Like the old Pete Jackson gear drives.

·
267 Posts
imported post

Paul, The sound you hear is perfectly normal for an 1800. As has already been mentioned from 2006 the alternators have a greater output and spin a little faster. The camshafts are also chain driven. If you compare a 1500 to an 1800 the 1500's engine is very much quieter but yours is perfectly normal.

Regards, Tony.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Whine on '06

Mine did not have the whine for 70k or more. Now it is so irritating I am thinking of HD. Maybe put on louder pipes on the Wing? No, I like the quite except for the whine....

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
MY 05 with 50000 on it that I bought a year ago sounds EXACTLY like your mp3, if not a tad louder. The noise either disappears or is drowned out at higher engine speeds. On the road, it is not noticeable at all. Might still be there, I just don't hear it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.