Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 2001-2005 alternator will fit and run a 2006-2015 ? I know that the earlier version is 75 amps and the newer is a 100 amp. However, has anyone ever tried to use the older model on a newer bike. Do the holes and connections line up?

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
People have put the later alternator in the older bikes so I guess it would reciprocate, for whatever reason.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
When I had mine out a few weeks ago I was told by the rebuild shop it was a 50 amp alternator. Seemed kind of low but that's what he said.

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts
When I had mine out a few weeks ago I was told by the rebuild shop it was a 50 amp alternator. Seemed kind of low but that's what he said.
Seems reasonable although Honda says it's 1200 watt roughly translated to 100 amps. I have no idea why a motorcycle would need an alternator that large, a lot of cars with air conditioning have smaller alternators.

·
Administrator
57,354 Posts
Seems reasonable although Honda says it's 1200 watt roughly translated to 100 amps. I have no idea why a motorcycle would need an alternator that large, a lot of cars with air conditioning have smaller alternators.

My Suburban has rear air, and I don't think the Alternator is even close to 100 amps.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
So if Honda says it is 100 AMP and the shop said it is 50 AMP why the difference/ Who is blowing smoke ???

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Hi Joe In Cali, I say test for your self, I've had smoke blown at me more than once" I need to know things; You can buy an inexpensive cigarette lighter guage at walmarts if you don't want to wire a digital amp guage as I've done.

Regards,

·
751 Posts
Hi Joe In Cali, I say test for your self, I've had smoke blown at me more than once" I need to know things; You can buy an inexpensive cigarette lighter guage at walmarts if you don't want to wire a digital amp guage as I've done.

Regards,
when you get the real amperage let me know !

·
Administrator
24,335 Posts

Regards,
You might get a volt meter that plugs in the power outlet but not an amp gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts