Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am new to Goldwings, and am looking for some advice on a problem I have. The passenger system is only working through one channel, the drivers is fine, and I have connectedboth helmet systems to rider and passenger and deduced the problem is in the bike, with the passengers connection - any advice on what the problem is / how to fix / ease of fix - thanks

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Which year and model do you have Paulnjax?

I only know the '82 interstate setup that uses a 5-pin DIN plug and jack to connect upthe helmets. If you have a similar setup, then there is about 1 metre of DIN cable that runs from the passenger jack to a "Y" connector near the faux tank or fering. You could switch the side of the "Y" that the passenger extension fits into and see if the fault is now with the driver's connection. If so, then the "Y" is bad. If the fault stays with the passenger, then it's the extension cable that needs replaced.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the feedback, I have a GL1800 2004. Although not the same as yours,the advice may be useful, having had a brief look, the set up doesn't seem that different to the one you describe.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

You will probably need to check for continuity through the passenger connector cord to rule it in or out.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Multi-meter, actually. Most voltmeters these days are multimeters.

Set it to the OHM setting. Connect one of your meter's leads to one pin of the passenger cable. Touch the other lead to the corresponding pin on the opposite end of the cable. You should find one and only one pin on the other end that will cause the meter's display to change from infinite to near zero ohms. If you find one pin that does not have a corresponding pin on the other end of the cable, you've confirmed that the cable has an internal broken wire. If you find a pin that has multiple corresponding pins, then you have an internal short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.