Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
100K Goldwing
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers and adding an amplifier to my 03 Goldwing. I put Polk Audio DB501s in and they are much clearer but the factory amp doesn't have enough power to let them be heard at highway speeds. Has anyone tried the PYLE PLMRA400 400 Watt 4 Channel Waterproof Marine/Car Amplifier. It is small and can be purchased for around $60.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I haven't heard of that amp fitted, but a lot of guys have used small amps with success. 400 watts will make a nice difference for you.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I think Rudy may have put a pile amp in his 1500.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Do a quick search here for the PLMRA400 -- there should be a few hits with some good data for the 1500s that could e readily adapted to your 1800. The output, though listed at 400W will be closer to 23W/channel (rms), which is still a significant improvement over the OEM stuff. As you mention, the pricepoint is easy enough to swallow too!

The "Electrical Connection" used to sell something similar (their p/n 03201) with similar rms output even though the amp was "rated" at 240W... also got some good reviews (you see these in the used-markets every now and again for about the new cost of the PLMRA400) - I can say that the 1800 audio systems do sound better with just a little amplification! IIRC, the Electrical Connection kit came with an inline noise suppressor for the 12v line to help clean that up; may be worth looking into for your installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.