Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ride a GL 1800 UK spec Wing fitted with a Garmin sat nav (other than that it is stock) anyone know why i get five beeps in my in ear speakers exactly every 10 minutes, while i'm riding?

you can set you clock by the time interval.

Confused.:watching::watching:

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

Which Garmin have you got ?

Dave.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

There's nothing in the manual (internet) about ANY audible signals whatsoever, so that's going to be a difficult one.

Are you the first owner? Registered product? Got a myGarmin account ? Send them an email, maybe they can help.

Only thing i can think of is low battery or bad reception.

BTW, I've got the 550.

Dave.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

the beep is there whether the Garmin is fitted or not, so i think i can rule out that as the cause. it's not a problem but I'm interested in knowing why.

Opps, I forgot to mention it also has an Autocom system fitted to it.

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

alany wrote:
the beep is there whether the Garmin is fitted or not, so i think i can rule out that as the cause. it's not a problem but I'm interested in knowing why.

Opps, I forgot to mention it also has an Autocom system fitted to it.

Alan Y
Ya know, you might be on to something there, probably not the Garmin.:thumbsup:

At least it's keeping you alert whilst driving

Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Switch your audio on and press the right round knob the radio. Watching the display, press the knob repeatly until you see "beep on" on the display.
Turn it to off and repeat the process until you see "roger beep", then turn that to off as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

choppas wrote:
Switch your audio on and press the right round knob the radio. Watching the display, press the knob repeatly until you see "beep on" on the display. Turn it to off and repeat the process until you see "roger beep", then turn that to off as well.
Thanks for that, i'll have to try it and see what happens. does it matter that I haven't got a CB fitted to the bike, as it is a UK spec one? Alan Y

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Does this sound like a very distant beep? Very noticable with headset on, not so much on speakers? If so, I have come across this on my 2001 with ABS. From what I can figure is that one of the onboard computers is recieving data from something. This sound is not present when the bike is in acc mode. If you have a ground loop isolator on the Aux this may also "accentuate" the noise.

I'm living with it since it is not too annoying, and at 120KPH, I only hear music and purr of the Wing.

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

mosesm wrote:
Does this sound like a very distant beep? Very noticable with headset on, not so much on speakers? If so, I have come across this on my 2001 with ABS. From what I can figure is that one of the onboard computers is recieving data from something. This sound is not present when the bike is in acc mode. If you have a ground loop isolator on the Aux this may also "accentuate" the noise.

I'm living with it since it is not too annoying, and at 120KPH, I only hear music and purr of the Wing.

Mike
Hi Mike this feels like a highly plausible cause, as all you describe, is as it is.

I too live with it, but i was just interested in where it was coming from.

Alan Y

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Do you have a battery bug? They beep 5 times every so often if your voltage drops below 12v. Ax me how I know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
Do you have a battery bug? They beep 5 times every so often if your voltage drops below 12v. Ax me how I know.
I'm asking!!

don't think i have a battery problem, it has an easy live as it is left on a battery conditioner if it not being ridden.

However you never know.

alany

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Battery bug is a voltmeter/battery monitor device that I put on my 1500. When the engine died on our Alaska Trip, I realized what the beeping noise had been all about. I then used it to monitor my progress between battery changes. I'm guessing you don't have one.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/119383.html

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Same issue here, just installed a tester:
http://www.baas-parts.de/index.php?...:ba22&catid=5:elektronik&directory=80&lang=de
but you have to switch to test circuit, could it be the cause? And why would it check every 5 minutes when manual checking is required? Also, it was beeping in the intercom only when the DMC MP3 player connected to the CD input was playing and cruising on high speed. Can't imagine the 5 beeps would indicate low voltage then, alternator seems fine and battery also. Attached to a battery charger it gets a OK status on "strong battery". On the other hand, we actually had everything on: GPS, heated seats and grips, MP3 player trough CD and intercom, so would this mean with everything on we would drain our battery till the bike switches off after a longer drive?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Hmmm, could this be the issue instead of the battery bug?
I also have the radio functions instead of the CB functions...

"Over here in UK the controls on the left handlebar that are used for the CB are for radio functions...
Well, one of them is for receiving 'traffic alerts' which can break through the normal broadcast. If however you drop out from the radio station that the signal is coming from then guess what? It gives 5 beeps!"

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

alany wrote:
choppas wrote:
Switch your audio on and press the right round knob the radio. Watching the display, press the knob repeatly until you see "beep on" on the display. Turn it to off and repeat the process until you see "roger beep", then turn that to off as well.
Thanks for that, i'll have to try it and see what happens. does it matter that I haven't got a CB fitted to the bike, as it is a UK spec one?   Alan Y 
Won't make any difference which model bike it is, the beep should turn off.:waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Ok what everybody is forgetting is that this bike is UK spec and therefore has. a. HISS system fitted to it and I think this may be the cause of the beep , make sure you have your sat nav connected properly to the power point in behind the left pocket , if you have it connected directly to the fuse box aix point then the wires running up may be picking the interference from the HISS system.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.