Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
That's a great deal for a louvred pan with removable part to get to the oil filter

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
That's a great deal for a louvred pan with removable part to get to the oil filter
Plus it's a stainless STEEL pan! Have one on my GL1800, and love it.

(Wish I'd gotten mine for $40.00 off the regular price.)

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
They have one less pan now! ;)
Jeff,

Just some quick install notes for you.

The edges of the pan are very sharp! Be very careful handling it, or wear some gloves. I actually took a file to the edges on mine and smoothed them a bit.

Also, when I installed mine on my '06, I had to trim a small section of the small front piece of the pan that covers the oil filter area.

The front lip of that piece has to slide in between the front lower fairing on the bike and the big black evaporative canister that's positioned just in front of the oil filter.

It's been a while, so I can't remember where just exactly where I had to cut a notch into it, but you'll see what it bumps into when you get under there.

Now that I think about it, I think the notch I had to cut was to clear the lip/seam on one side of the evap canister. It will fit without cutting a notch if you force it, but once I cut that small notch, everything fit much better so that the quick connect fittings on the front pan piece lined up just right.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Jeff,

Just a quick install note for you.

When I installed mine on my '06, I had to trim a small section of the small front piece of the pan that covers the oil filter area.

The front lip of that piece has to slide in and over the big black evaporative canister that's positioned just in front of the oil filter.

It's been a while, so I can't remember whether it was the left, right, or center of the front edge of the oil filter cover section of the pan that I had to cut a notch into, but you'll see what it bumps into when you get under there.

I think the notch I had to cut was to clear the support bracket for the evap canister, now that I think about it. Once I cut that small notch, everything lined up properly so that the quick connect fittings on the front pan piece fit in place just right.
Thank you! I printed out your procedure to have with me for when I do the install.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Thank you! I printed out your procedure to have with me for when I do the install.
Jeff,

My memory just improved, so I rewrote my instructions a bit just now.

So, use the updated post.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, I put one on my '01 and had to do a bit of trimming and bending to get the SS pan installed. Mainly to protect the coolant tank. BTW I didn't notice any handling changes in calm or high wind conditions after installing the pan contrary to a lot of claims by sellers.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Yep, I put one on my '01 and had to do a bit of trimming and bending to get the SS pan installed. Mainly to protect the coolant tank.
Interesting! Mine fit perfectly over the coolant tank area.

I wonder if they changed the design recently?

My pan is only about a year old. How long ago did you install the WingStuff belly pan on your '01?

Or, maybe there is a slight difference on the bikes in that area from an '01 to an '06.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I don't remember if it came from Wing Stuff or not, it was about two years ago. It was a SS pan but had no louvers. I got it on a scratch and dent sale for $40. Very minor ding in it that was easy to knock out. Who's going to notice a scratch on a belly pan.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I don't remember if it came from Wing Stuff or not, it was about two years ago. It was a SS pan but had no louvers. I got it on a scratch and dent sale for $40. Very minor ding in it that was easy to knock out. Who's going to notice a scratch on a belly pan.
That explains it then. We don't have the same pan. The latest SS pans from WingStuff have the louvers in them.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Wow I need one of these.. my only incident after buying my 2010 Wing was hitting a piece of car tire and cutting my reservoir line dumping the coolant and making me think I had done some major damage. I will be purchasing this belly pan before I head out on my next trip.. Thanks Guys ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.