Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the most common cause of the brake lites staying on? 5 days ago they were fine, checking them in the garage and after starting on an overniter the other rides noticed that they were staying on all the time. Any clues to start looking?
Appreciate the help :praying:

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
Assuming you are referring to the 1800 in your avatar pull off the right engine cover and listen for 2 clicks of the switches as you press the brake pedal and 2 clicks as you release it. You can see the switches on the master cylinder rod, they may need a small adjustment.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be on that tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks for speedy replies.:applause:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heard the clicks when pressing the front and rear brakes. When I looked at the adjustable rear brake switch, one of them caused the lites to flicker a bit but they did not go off. Still trying to investigate before taking into a shop.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I have the same problem but with my front brake. A slight touch to the handle will clear it but it will happen again. This is a brand new switch.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I have this problem from time to time on my 03' and I have localized it to the front handlebar break lever (in my case, although I realize the rear brake switch is more common). I have taken the lever off several times and cleaned up the switch as well as the pivot point of the lever and it seems to fix it for a bit but then it returns. I can actually tell when the brake lever doesn't travel all the way open activating the switches after I use it and I have to manually push it forward with my fingers. All that being said, in my particualr case I am ready to focus on the "brass" (?) bushing that is in the lever pivot point. I think it may be worn down and not allowing the lever to have free travel. I should also note that I have after market chrome levers but I have put the originals back on and it has the same results (using the same bushings).

Don't know if this helps but it's at least some added information.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
It sounds like your rear brake switch is the problem. Spray it up with WD40 and see if it clears the problem. Even just unplugging the switch will work until you get a new one, if needed.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The rear brake light switch on an 1800 works counter to what you would normally think. The normal OFF position is with the switch actuated or pressed in. If your brake light is staying on, normal problem, the switch mounting bracket needs to be moved down a little bit. I'm talking fractions of an inch. Remove the right engine cover, the chrome one, and you'll see the light switch/cruise cancle switch bracket. Held on with two phillips screws. Loosen them and slide the bracket down a slight amount. You can test it with the ignition on and something behind the bike to relect the light. The proper adjustment will let the brake lights come on with only the slightest downward movement of the brake pedal. You should also hear the two relays clicking. One for brake lights the other for cruise cancel.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
This is an old thread, but it helped me fix my "stuck on brake lights." When I took the switch out a small black rock fell out. I could activate the brake switch by just touching the micro switches. I lubed everything up and I am now a happy 2002 1800 owner again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.