Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got an e-mail from a Goldwing owner in the UK about a new recall for the GL1800. Apparentlty full details are on the GWRRA site, but I'm not a member there so I can't find it. The info I got in the e-mail is ;

"January 14, 2005
"American Honda is conducting a SAFETY RECALL on affected models per the VIN
ranges listed on attached table. The recall will inspect the Proportioning
Control Valve (PCV) on vehicles equipped with linked or anti-lock brakes. In
limited circumstances, the existing proportioning valve could develop a leak
Over time, the leak could result in a total loss of fluid from the rear
brake system. If the motorcycle continues to be used after a leak occurs the
rear brake would eventually become inoperative. In worst case, the loss of
rear brake force may cause a crash."

"The instructions and procedures necessary to repair the affected
motorcycles will be available the week of January 24th... Parts required to
perform these repairs if a leak is found will be available later that same
week."

"American Honda will mail a notice of this Recall to owners of all affected
motorcycles."

This affects certain VINs of 2002-2004 GL1800/A's, 2002-2003 CBR1100XX,
2002-2004 VFR800/A's, and 2003-2004 ST1300/A's. The affected VIN's for ST
are:
2003 ST1300 - JH2SC511*3M100002 ~ 101443
2003 ST1300A- JH2SC514*3M100002 ~ 100798
2004 ST1300 - JH2SC510*4M200001 ~ 201352
2004 ST1300A - JH2SC513*4M200001 ~ 200808"

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

The information is only today available on gwrra forum, but not much more than you say already. No service bulletin avalable from Honda at the moment. This is latest from gwrra forum;

On Jan 11th, Honda decided to recall 36,000 affected units for a brake porportioning valve.

GL1800
Years 02, 03, and 04. All

CBR11XX
Years 02, 03 all

VFR 800
Years 02, 03, 04 all

ST1300
Years 03, 04 all

So it seems that ALL 2002-2004 gl1800s will be recalled.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Look for the US Federal web site that lists vehicle manufacturers recalls, I think its through the Federal Trade Commission or NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). Should have all the details that are published there. I know there is such a site, I just cant recall the address.

PS And about American Honda. They are not an engineering organisation, they are marketing, public relations and damage control. They are the source of the cover-up about the 1200s in the 1990s. Dont trust anything that comes from them as gospel.They are the source of 3 bits of false info about the 1200s: 1.) 1200 stator defective 2.) regulator upgrade 3.) putting dielctric grease in the stator connector.

All 3 are false.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Now apparently all the GL1800s have to have their frames welded as well. Sheesh, when will it ever stop? I fancied a GL1800 this year, now I'm back to sitting on the fence again.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Dave,

Don't let a little recall upset your plans. The GL18 is a simply astounding motorcycle. I've done 13,000 trouble free miles, mines an '02, just changed the oil and tyres so far. Handles brilliantly and carries everything plus the missus with no fuss or worries. Thousands of GL18 owners are not about to have their confidence shaken...Now Honda, get off your butts and get this sorted, loyal Goldwing owners deserve no less!!!

Regards,

Steve18

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

It does appear that ALL 2002-2004 models are affected by the frame weld recall, no matter what market they are in. That's some undertaking and could take a long time to complete.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just a shame that Honda were supplying 04 models with possibly defective frames when they had to already know that the weldng was insufficient on all the 1800s. I wonder if the 05's will get the recall next year.
Likewise the overheating problem. I haven't personally had it but I reckon that all 1800s will be likely to get this problem with a few years age on them.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Don't sit on the fence Heffo... Just go buy a GW and start having fun... It's all part of the picture...;)

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

After a long search through USA government depts I have finally found the information you have all been looking for regarding the brake and frame recalls on the 1800 ..I tried to copy but could not ,so follow the link and scroll throughthe page ,there are 2 seperate bulletins ,, the one for the brakes are on the first screen and then click next at the bottom of the page to get to the frame recall ,one for brakes and one for frame recall ..Very intresting reading ...cheers Ciaran

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm?start=16&SearchType=DateSearch&date=01/04/2005&type=E&summary=true

the recall for the brakes begin on FEB 3rd and the frame feb 15th in the states ..All 1800 are being recalled for the frame .

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

[align=left]I managed to copy them without problems. Fair play to you for finding this info, it can't have been easy, the way the navigation of the site is laid out.[/align]

[align=center]Here's the frame recall;[/align]

Make / Models :

Model/Build Years:

HONDA / GL1800

2001-2004

HONDA / GL1800A

2001-2004

Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V027000
Recall Date : JAN 28, 2005

Component: STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 34919

Summary:
ON SOME MOTORCYCLES, CERTAIN FRAME WELDS DO NOT MEET MANUFACTURING SPECIFICATIONS. HIGH LOADS CREATED WHEN RIDING ON ROUGH ROAD SURFACES OR THROUGH POTHOLES CAN CAUSE THE AFFECTED WELDS TO CRACK.

Consequence:
THE WELDED AREA COULD BREAK, RESULTING IN REAR SUSPENSION COLLAPSE OR LOWER CROSS MEMBER SEPARATION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REINFORCE THE WELDS ON 2001-2002 MOTORCYCLES. ON 2003-2004 MOTORCYCLES, THE UNITS WILL BE REPAIRED, NO INSPECTION WILL BE NECESSARY. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 15, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.

Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. P66. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236.

[align=center]And here's the brakes one;[/align]

Make / Models :

Model/Build Years:

HONDA / CBR1100XX

2002-2003

HONDA / GL1800

2002-2004

HONDA / GL1800A

2002-2004

HONDA / ST1300

2003-2004

HONDA / ST1300A

2003-2004

HONDA / VFR800

2002-2004

HONDA / VFR800A

2003-2004

Manufacturer : AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V010000
Recall Date : JAN 18, 2005

Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 36046

Summary:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES EQUIPPED WITH COMBINED-BRAKE SYSTEMS HAVE A PROPORTIONING CONTROL VALVE (PCV) THAT MECHANICALLY PROPORTIONS BRAKE FORCE WHEN THE REAR BRAKE IS APPLIED. A SEAL IN SOME PCVS IS IMPROPERLY SHAPED, AND BRAKE FLUID LEAKAGE MAY OCCUR.

Consequence:
IF THE MOTORCYCLE CONTINUES TO BE USED AFTER A LEAK OCCURS, THE REAR BRAKE WOULD EVENTUALLY BECOME INOPERATIVE. A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE FORCE COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE FORLEAKAGE. IF LEAKAGE IS CONFIRMED, THE DEALER WILL REPLACE THE PCV. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON FEBRUARY 3, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT HONDA AT 866-784-1870.

Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. P65. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I expec tHonda will get it sorted, but it's a pity they kept producing 03 and 04 models when they knew already that the welding was not adequate. I knowa few 04 owners who would have waited until 05 or 06 for fully sorted bikes before changing. The overheating problem hasn't even been properly resolved either. The 05 frame looks just the same in that particular area to my eyes. Will we see the 05's getting called back next year for frame welding?

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hey dont be surprised if the 05s get recalled at a later date ....

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Hey dont be surprised if the 05s get recalled at a later date ....
My thoughts exactly. I'll be waiting to see what 2006 brings before changing my wing.
Hey wexman, 442 posts! Old Redwing must be quaking, he hasn't been posting a lot lately. If you catch him up you will be Super Moderator & Top POster rolled inta one. :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:

Hey wexman, 442 posts! Old Redwing must be quaking, he hasn't been posting a lot lately.
Hey weewillywing, :waving:My neighbour has discovered that using his PC puts up the phone bill. :whip: I thought the government would have given free use of the net in the last budget for us old age pensioners, but no joy yet. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hi willy ,if you noticed I did not post today ,,thats because wingnut asked me to stop for a while because poor old REDWING was getting into a panic in case I overtook him ,,and we did not want to upset the old man :D,,he would only take it out on SHEP...cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Just to let you know honda here in IRELAND still have not got any word on the recalls and are not intrested in looking or doing anything with American spec wings that have been imported privatly or otherwise regarding the recalls ,,

So yesterday I took the bull by the horns and rang Honda America and explained to them that there are a lot of American spec bikes in Ireland ,,etc etc etc ,,So They are looking into getting them sorted for us and They will call me back after the 24 th Feb when they know the exact vin numbers effected,as they have now discovered it is not all 1800s..

They were most helpful and did not realise that we had so many wings in this little country of ours ,,He told me if there are units here effected they will have to be repaired here by honda and they will take care of that ,,so hang on in there lads and I will keep you posted as soon as I get word back from the states ,,after the 24th feb..I asked about the European spec bikes and he told me that it is up to the european honda whether to notify or notnotify there customers ,But basically if there is a problem with the frame on the 1800it will be common to all 1800s ..cheers Ciaran..

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Wexman - thats good news, over here my dealer has basically told me to take the bike back to the US to get fixed (needless to sat he wont be getting my business back). Nothing has appeared on the UK VOSA website about recalls yet - sit and wait I suppose:X

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
over here my dealer has basically told me to take the bike back to the US to get fixed.
Hey Phil, :waving: Gosh thats a long spin on a Sunday afternoon. :grinner:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Hi Redwing - this time next week I will be winging my way to the US for a month mainly on holiday (and Daytona for some of Bikeweek :D) but as I have a couple of days work to do they are picvking the tab up for the flights :) which gives me even more dosh to spend at Daytona

rgds

Phil

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.