Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my bike in for some work at the honda shop and when I picked it up they told me that the mirror was broken and would not stay put. That is kinda funny because I drove 5 hours to get the bike there and the mirror was just find then. Any way, they said that there are no parts that you can order to fix it and you have to replace the whole mirror. So $250 later the new mirror came in the mail and I took off the old one. When the mirror is bumped it moves to the front or back and the only thing that keeps the mirror in place is a little retainer cap. Photo attached. This little thing looks like a $.20 piece. Do any of you out there know if you can just order the retainer cap to fix the mirror?
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
802 Posts
imported post

looks like something you can get at your local hardware store. You didn't include dimensions and we can't tell the size from the photo which would have been very helpful.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
looks like something you can get at your local hardware store. You didn't include dimensions and we can't tell the size from the photo which would have been very helpful.
Oops ya sorry. The post it fits on is about 1/2". It goes on the right side mirror of a GL1800 2004
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
596 Posts
imported post

If you have a place near you that sells automotive paint and supplies they have something. I worked in one of these places a long time ago. If it's not too much trouble you may want to take the mirror so they can make sure it's a tight fit. You may also have to buy more than one since they are probably in a package. Also it you have a large bodyshop in town they may have just one. The bigger guys buy bins with different fasteners and such. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

unclet1 wrote:
If you have a place near you that sells automotive paint and supplies they have something. I worked in one of these places a long time ago. If it's not too much trouble you may want to take the mirror so they can make sure it's a tight fit. You may also have to buy more than one since they are probably in a package. Also it you have a large bodyshop in town they may have just one. The bigger guys buy bins with different fasteners and such. Good luck.
I will try that. Thank you. I bet the whole package would be way cheaper than the $250 I paid for the whole mirror. What is the matter with Honda that they can not just sell the replacement keeper instead of sticking you with the whole mirror purchase?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

William_86 wrote:
i would have had the dealer change it since it was fine before hey work on it right?
Ya that would be fine but they would have charged me for the service time. They also had to order in the mirror because it appears that Honda shops here keep nothing in stock. I had new tires put on and they had to order them, I needed a bolt pin that they lost and they had to order that. I live 5 hours from the closest dealer and going back and forth is fun but getting very old.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,221 Posts
imported post

Look around your area for a Fastenal store. They will have that part or something close to it.
 

·
Major Enthusiast
Joined
·
238 Posts
imported post

My local True Value hardware store has aisles and aisles of different nuts, bolts, fasteners, keepers, automotive thingies, shower door parts, chrome metric and SAE nuts and bolts, stainless, steel, cotter pins, roller pins, shaft keys, and on and on. They have saved my bacon innumerable times, when I needed just the right fastener to finish a bike.
If you have one near by, you might get lucky.. (Well, in getting the right part, anyway)

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Bamaeagle wrote:
Look around your area for a Fastenal store. They will have that part or something close to it.
Another good idea. Thank you. Nearest Fastenal is only 2 hours away. I bet they have one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
160 Posts
imported post

I had a similair situation and I was not about to give Mr. Honda another over inflated dollar So I went to a slavage yard and got what I needed and it didnt cost a single penny The guy there said thats all you need? Yup and he told me to have a nice day ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
imported post

Back in my manufacturing life, we had a library of Thomas Register books. To day this "register of manufacturers" may be on-line, even in your public library. If so, go to the "Library" and look up fasteners or Tinnerman fasteners, washers etc.

Scenario:
Mother contracts someone to fab the mirrors for her, to her specs. Under the norm of "automotive supply", this mirror would have to conform to a drawing in every minute detail with supplier information on every single part, (this part included) Someone stamps this part out by the thousands.

Just a thought from and old fart who just completed an undocumented IronButt from Sarasota to Detroit in 29 hrs. ( Goldwings are driven to be ridden)

Buy, time for bed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,735 Posts
imported post

NAPA might have your part as well. You would be surprised at how many little parts are common to many different things.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
751 Posts
imported post

dheaton wrote:
unclet1 wrote:
If you have a place near you that sells automotive paint and supplies they have something. I worked in one of these places a long time ago. If it's not too much trouble you may want to take the mirror so they can make sure it's a tight fit. You may also have to buy more than one since they are probably in a package. Also it you have a large bodyshop in town they may have just one. The bigger guys buy bins with different fasteners and such. Good luck.
I will try that. Thank you. I bet the whole package would be way cheaper than the $250 I paid for the whole mirror. What is the matter with Honda that they can not just sell the replacement keeper instead of sticking you with the whole mirror purchase?
This is not right I would talkto the Mgr & Tell him Look the Mirror was fine when I brought it in here & your guys tell me its Broke & If he didn`t do any thing I would go to Honda of America ! I would also have gone to a glass shop & had them cut you a piece of mirror you would have had to get a Template but atleast you would not have had to spend the $250.00 ! Well that what I would have done ! I would now get a Template for both Mirrors & also Find a salvage Bike yard !
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
751 Posts
imported post

Dandy Dave wrote:
My local True Value hardware store has aisles and aisles of different nuts, bolts, fasteners, keepers, automotive thingies, shower door parts, chrome metric and SAE nuts and bolts, stainless, steel, cotter pins, roller pins, shaft keys, and on and on. They have saved my bacon innumerable times, when I needed just the right fastener to finish a bike.
If you have one near by, you might get lucky.. (Well, in getting the right part, anyway)

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com
also Try ace Hardware They always have things I need to fix whatever I need to replace !
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top